KickAsteroids - Zoyt's Codea Holiday Cook Off Development Thread

@Zoyt if this app will be availeble for ipad1 i can join the beta… Otherwise i will haveto buy a ipad mini or ipad2/3

@Jessevanderheide - No promises, but the graphical part will work. I’ll be doing some super duper awesome sound synthesis (music that pretty much writes itself according to how your game Is going), so I might have to drop iOS 5. It’s becoming a hassle supporting iOS 5.

Yeah it crashes on mine too after about 30 seconds. Amazing effects though. I love the color choice for the asteroids and how they fly away!

@MrScience101 - Odd. It’s a bit annoying that shaders crash Codea on some devices.

it must be my old ipad 3. Time to get an ipad air I guess. :slight_smile:

@MrScience101 - I’ve got an iPad 3 running ios 7.0.4 here… Odd.

That is really odd. I have the first ipad 3, the one with the slower chip. I also have ios 7.0.4. I stored the project from codea community in a project named ‘temp’. I wonder if I changed the name to KickAsteroids if that would help.

Hmmm nope that didn’t do it either. It’s probably some setting on my iPad that is messing it up.

For the record, I have no problems on my iPad Mini iOS 7.0.4

It crashes for me too, but otherwise it looks great :slight_smile:

iPad 3 iOS 7.0.4 - haven’t had a run without a crash to “desktop” yet. Love the game up to that point though.

@MrScience101 - I got mine a week after it came out, so I think we have the same model.
To all that are getting crashes ( @tnlogy, @Pops ), you might try copying my radial gradient shader (in the “Shaders” tab) and putting it in the shader lab, and see if it crashes anything (make sure to put in the variables required in the bindings).
Thanks! Sorry it doesn’t work for some of you.

Just wondering: For the final product, should I keep the name KickAsteroids (and does anyone get the name :smiley: )?

@Zoyt names funny I think its pretty good as it is! If it’s got a funny name it’ll be mentioned among people more :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree, the name is good. I take it the emphasis is on the first two syllables!

Just one word of caution: BullPuckey was delayed for two weeks while I went through appeals of Apple’s “that’s too crude” judgement on the name.

@Mark what’s wrong with BullPuckey??

@Luatee, @West - Thanks.
@Mark - Good suggestion. I’ll contact them first this time.

@Luatee - “Puckey” has multiple definitions. It was meant as a pun, but the reviewer took it as crude

Isn’t using the integrated full-blown physics engine a little… Overkill? You are working with relatively simplistic shapes that could easily be represented by circles, and it might’ve been a lot faster if you wrote your own simplified solution.