iOS11 and Codea?

One thing I noticed. If I tap the + while in a project to create a blank file or new class, at the top of the keyboard is an area to key something and an image of a key. If I tap on the key, it shows me some links I have and the passwords I created for those links. What kind of security or lack of security does iOS 11 have. Now I have to figure out why it’s doing that.

@dave1707

Wow, they seem to be passwords for other apps and you paste them into tab headers !!! Can confirm this - has Codea been hacked?

Also just loaded new project, after using the key search field and it had a password at the top of the new main page!!!

One thing I just noticed - above the project list is a search field where you can search for projects, I texted in “fall“ and found four projects with that in the title which it displayed on an otherwise project free page. There’s a clear icon on the right of the search field which returns your normal project page list or you can select one of the filtered projects in usual way. Never seen this before!

@dave1707 @Bri_G damn, that’s my fault.

Codea hasn’t been hacked. I was trying to stop iOS interfering with text entry permanently (for example, double-tap space to insert period). So I marked the keyboard as “secure” — which stops iOS from touching the text there, but of course gives you the ability to paste your passwords in. I’ll disable this for the next build.

@Simeon

Think it may be a deeper problem than that. Possibly an iOS issue - shouldn’t be able to pick up passwords from other apps in Codea. Think Apple need to be aware and to patch it from their code. The 11.0.1 upgrade was supposed to be a security update.

i notice that in the files app, in the ‘on my ipad’ tab a codea folder is visible with lots of assets. i guess from the codea documents assets?

@Bri_G it’s not exactly that. Codea can’t see any of your passwords, but because it advertises its editor as a “secure” text entry field iOS will allow you to enter passwords into it. Next build will fix this so the keychain keyboard will not show up in the Codea editor.

@piinthesky yeah I enabled Files support in Codea. Do you think it’s useful to have? We could disable again.

@simeon, yes i think it is useful.

Files allows me to create a sub-folder in the codea folder, is that handled correctly by Codea?

i guess at some point in the future, our Codea programs could also be handled by the files app and allowing folders?

So far I’ve had to power off/on my iPad to fix iOS hangs or things not working correctly more than all of the other iOS releases combined. In fact, I don’t think I’ve had to power cycle my iPad at all for any of the previous releases. What a piece of crap iOS 11 is.

Hi All,

Looking at the Codea folder on ‘Files App’ and I find all my active files and examples folders/some folders with a project inside/examples/Craft examples/Documents folder/my own collections and local Dropbox content.

You should be able to copy to Dropbox by copying to the local Dropbox folder and syncing. I can’t see the Asset file folders, except Dropbox, which is a shame. Best use in organising my collections.

@Bri_G ahhh, yes all the projects are also visible further down, not just the assets-cool!

I’m finding the Files app to be totally useless. I used to be able to export Codea projects to a zip file and save them in the iCloud. I could then share that zip file with iZip and look at each file within the zip. I could also share that zip file with Codea and restore any project or asset. Now when I try to share the zip file with iZip, the Files app crashes. If I try to share the zip file with Codea, nothing happens. Apple is totally clueless with their iOS updates. Instead of improving things, they just screw them up and say it’s better.

PS. I want iOS 10 back.

@Simeon Does Codea need to be updated to use the exported zip file because of the Files app. I used to be able to import the zip file into Codea and it would ask me to select which project I wanted to restore. See the attached image. This used to show all the projects with a slider to select which project to import. Now I only get what’s in the image.

Odd effect here - I was sorting out my Codea projects using the Files app, adding new collections and moving files (there are a lot of them). Fiddly but working.

Then after using Codea itself used the multitasking bar to open up Files app, the page opened and I briefly saw my Codea Files then they faded to a blank page. Couldn’t see anything except search bar at top. That was in browse files mode - I could see a few files in recent mode. Couldn’t move off browse or recents page. Had to shut down my pad to get it back to normal.

Are there limitations in number of files or number of apps you can use concurrently?

@Bri_G I had the same thing happen to me. I had a lot of files showing in Files browse but then later there were none. I tried recent and some files were showing. After I power cycled my iPad, they were all back again. If I tap on a text file in the Files app on my iPad Pro, it opens the file to let me read, scroll the file. On my iPad Air, if I tap on the same file, it opens an app I have called iZip and does nothing. If I delete the iZip app then tap on the file, it opens it and lets me read, scroll it. If I load iZip back, then it will open the iZip file when I tap on the text file.

@dave1707 I have quite a few apps that wont run in iOS 11, which don’t have updates. Developers not pursuing further. Must be down to keeping up to date with iOS. But when you think on it backwards compatabilty gets harder to retain. Your iZip may be suffering from this, and Apple may only wish to add file management in layers as security is an issue - so many factors involved.

@Bri_G I think Apple is trying to cram as much stuff into their iOS just so they can say they did it first. More isn’t better. It’s called, what’s that term from long ago, bloatware. Functionality that doesn’t work right isn’t an improvement, its shows lack of respect for their users.

@Bri_G I don’t think iZip is the problem because I have the same iZip on the iPad Pro and Files doesn’t open it when I tap on a text file. Either Apple doesn’t have Files coded right for the different iPads or they just don’t have it coded right at all.

@dave1707 I use iZip Pro and have opened zipped files and read .lua and .txt files from unzipped folders within it, on my iPad Pro with iOS 11.

@dave1707 it’s happened three times to me now. I’m beginning to suspect the multitasking bar as I flip between Codea and File app whist re-organising my files. That is with the occasional file being loaded into Codea itself (for importing).

Is there any way to check how many instances of an app are in memory, multitasking is great if you can properly manage the memory at your disposal. Apple need to provide a tool to display memory limits and in use etc whilst using apps.

@Bri_G All of my files are still show when I do a browse. I’m still trying to figure out why Files wants to use iZip when I select a text file created in Codea. The odd thing is when I select the Dropbox Quick Start text file in the Dropbox folder, it opens it as a text file and let’s me read/scroll thru it.