iOS11 and Codea?

@Bri_G I am not encountering the same problem, but yours looks pretty strange. Could you elaborate on it more please?

@Bri_G Are you talking about the iOS 11 dock. It doesn’t take much of a movement at the bottom of the screen for it to show.

Yeah, the multitasking panel - which I find really useful. Found it popping up when using finger control near the bottom left corner. When I tried to switch to edit mode the dock popped up. More a nuisance than a real problem.

Unfortunately, that’s not a Codea bug. I suppose apple made the gesture sensitive to easily detect the difference between a swipe up for the dock or a swipe up for the control center.

Actually, I think less sensitivity would be better. A longer swipe should be required to bring it up.

@Bri_G @em2 Since it’s an Apple bug, I think the 2 of you should contact Apple and let them know so they can fix it. Oh wait, Apple doesn’t fix bugs in they’re code, you just have to work around it until they get around to changing it in a few releases from now.

One thing I noticed about iOS 11 Files is that it doesn’t show files that begin with a . (period) . I have several Codea files that begin with a . so they stay at the beginning of my sorted project list. Guess I have to rename them to start with something else.

@dave1707 This is probably because MacOS and it’s derivatives consider things starting with a period to be hidden system files or settings.

Already an update on 11, for security - possibly involving the file manager? Anyone have info on this?

@Bri_G @dave1707 that’s default behavior on MacOS, and it was passed on to iOS for consistency, as @John noted. Files and folders beginning with a period are typically reserved for the system and protected by hiding them because changing them may break the software. Disabling this is very difficult on Mac, and probably impossible on iOS.

Another bug: Shaders disappear from the [shader lab] editor without warning. Expecting the file to auto save, I left the app for a short while and upon returning, all the work I had done disappeared, leaving the default shader template.

To me, iOS 11 doesn’t seem to be as responsive as previous versions. Some buttons on apps don’t respond like they used too. In the Mail app, if I delete my incoming email, it takes a long time for the email count to go down and disappear. Another thing, in the App Store, why does the purchased apps only shows in a small window instead of the whole screen. I think Apple is trying to cram too much crap into their releases just so they have something to release. They also take things that work perfectly and screw them up.

Hi All,
Just mentioned, in the beta thread, that the video on/off button seems a little slow. I was wondering if this is due to the iOS 11 dock and Apple giving priority to OS calls close to the bottom of the pad screen. This could possibly influence controls sited around there. Anyone seen similar effects with other apps?

@Bri_G What I noticed with the video is the first time I try to use it, it doesn’t seem to respond but then puts up a popup asking if I want to use the video. Once it starts, it take a lot to get it to stop. After that, it just takes a light touch to start and stop the video. I’ve had the video popup message show a couple of times, so I’m not sure what controls allowing the video.

@dave1707

More or less what I saw. When I checked Codea was set to save video to iCloud and saves three files (one vid and two text). Saving a 3 minute video worked after trial and error, but subsequent ones ran into the problem of slow button response and looked like long video had been dumped for short video due to my frustration with the button response.

I’ve had to reboot my iPad twice so far because iOS 11 wouldn’t do something. Other things would work, but it would refuse to do that one thing. After the reboot it would work OK. For example, in the settings app, scrolling all the way to the bottom where it shows the apps on the iPad, if you tap on an app it should show options that can be changed for that app. There were some apps that whenever I tapped on them, the settings app would lock up and I would have to force close it. After the reboot, they worked OK.

@dave1707

What system are you using - mine is iPad Pro 9.7” iOS 11.0.1

Have you loaded the update yet?

I’m on an iPad Air 1 with iOS 11.0.1 . The latest iOS is also on my iPad Pro 12.9”, but I haven’t used it that much. The iPad Air is the one I use the most.

@Bri_G If you want to record your screen, iOS 11 has built-in screen recording. You can add it as a widget to the notification center

@yojimbo2000 Hadn’t picked up on that, will check it out. Didn’t realise widgets were available on iPad.

@yojimbo2000 ,

Sussed this option up and works, a bit fiddly but also allows you to remove controls from image if needed. Need to get into video editing now. Thanks for the prompt.