Shade - Pro Shader Editing for iOS (Version 1.3 now out)

@dave1707 - the crashes I experienced were just with the demos. I played with setting up my own shader so there may be issues there. The crash occured twice when I was closing a shader demo.

Did you see the flashing buy Shade button at the top?

@John - something that may be a feature but had me confused. I had a texture node connected up with texture present. I tried opening the node to change texture but all I succeeded in doing was getting a yellow border round the node with a yellow eye at top right of node.

Later I found that a link to change the texture was in the library window.

@John - just ran through your hologram tutorial on youtube - excellent. Couple of things I found difficult

1. sometimes you mentioned changing a property e.g. transparency but without knowing what feature you touched I didn’t initially know where to find it - did get there in the end.
  2. On the remap there are two numeric properties R1 and R2. Initially I touched R2 and didn’t notice, obviously didn’t get the right effect. On rezeroing R2 and setting R1 up properly I still didn’t get the right effect (interference from R2 no doubt).Didn’t know how to reset R2 so in the end had to delete remap and start again - is that the only way to reset properties of nodes?
  3. Finally on the split node - the node has 4 outputs w,x,y and z which yours didn’t r,g,b,a - is there any way of specifying this - I know that in this case it didn’t really matter as they are interchaneable, but it can confuse in a tutorial.

Great work - any more in the pipeline?

@John - back again, just tried to load the hologram code into the code provided by @dave1707. Ran into a couple of problems, the colours didn’t reflect those used in the shader - until I deleted the scene sky definitions. Also the barring effect in the hologram looked diminished, probably due to the relative size of the objects between Shade and Codea. Finally I could only really use the cube model as that is the only one common to both applications (I think).

Can we use obj models common to both apps? Are the icosphere and shaderball models available and loadable?

@Bri_G the diminished hologram effect in Codea could be due to Shade supporting an “additive” blend path which would not be part of the shader when bringing it into Codea (but is enabled in Shade as part of the tutorial)

@John - trying to read the pixel in a height map and was trying to use Scene color node couple to a texture, accessing the reference section on that node when it came out with an error - see image below.

@John @Simeon - I know I’m distracting you from your development but I ran into a problem that you can probably easily resolve. I tried to copy a group from one shader to a blank new one by selecting the group and then pasting it into the blank shader. It only copied the blank group. Do you need to select multiple nodes and group to achieve this? Could be another tutorial vid there.

@John - not sure if it’s present in Shade but an FPS display or routine to genetate one and display in output window could come in handy.

Also, would it be better to rename this thread as a forum thread and add another for the Shade anouncements?

@Simeon - you could be right, not sure so two images below to show effect.

@Bri_G the colours are lighter because you are adding gray/white to them when combined in diffuse. It’s also an unlit shader so it’ll appear flat.

Groups currently don’t copy their members at the moment and there isn’t any form of multiple selection right now. These are going to be added in an update though.

@Jphn - thanks for the feedback.

@Bri_G you can set the blend mode of a craft.material to NORMAL, ADDITIVE or MULTIPLY

Give this a try? Not sure if the exported shader from Shade configures this aspect of the material. Otherwise @John will know more

local m = craft.material("Your Hologram")
m.blendMode = ADDITIVE

@Simeon - tried that out ADDITIVE, NORMAL both had no effect. MULTIPLY made the whole screen darker. Possibly the condition is built into the Shader. Thanks for the heads up.

@Simeon @John - just got a funny from Shade, playing about with a texture asset link onto a texture node when I disconnected I accidentally dragged the linking cord onto the reference window. It stuck there, I could pull the node away and the cord just stretched. Don’t think there was another node under the reference window as not visible on mini map.

@Bri_G the blend mode should be configured by the material automatically. Can you post some screenshots of what you are seeing?

@Simeon - I closed the shader down and when I reloaded it the issue wasn’t there. 'll try to duplicate and post what I find.

@John - you’ll probably get a lot of these from me as I tend to connect everything to everything, at the moment, to see what happens. See the attached photo from my latest error - probably down to my lack of understanding.

@Bri_G I think that’s caused by adding two texture objects together. It shouldn’t really be a allowed by the editor but in general it makes no sense to ever do something like that.

I think there is probably thousands of ways to build invalid shaders, a lot of those are due to bugs and some are just illogical constructs that cannot compile.

@John - thanks you hit the mark with illogical I’ve just been playing round to see what connections are possible and the effects of them. Seem to remember some distortion adding texture to texture - is there an unintended merging effect?

Think I’ve asked before but what’s the best way to read a 2D height map?

@John - another quick question, when alerted to an error, in the output window, it prompts to tap the alert to get details. In doing that you seem to get a listing in the references window. Is this Codea compatible shader code?