Shade - Pro Shader Editing for iOS (Version 1.3 now out)

@John i am bugging you again-sorry! Just wondering if you had time to think any more about the disintegration shader with craft, we discussed earlier on this thread.

Honestly, this is great. UI - best, speed - best. Two Lives Left, prove me you’re earthlings! This is the best software design I have ever seen. All needs fulfilled. Great job, @Simeon @John!! (Why have I missed this topic?)

@piinthesky I’ll see if I can dig up the graph and model I originally used.

The shader interface reminds me of my DAWs plugin and midi routing interface, I feel so at home.

@Simeon I am able to crash Shade if i touch the display window while the shader is setting up. The easiest shader example to demonstrate this is ‘forest floor’ as it takes a while to get going.

@Simeon @John - forest floor still crashed Shade before it displays.

@Simeon On my iPad Air 1 with 16GB memory, a lot of the examples crash Shade. One of them even crashed the iPad, but I don’t remember which one it was. I deleted Shade and reloaded it, but a lot of the examples still crash the iPad. All of the examples show a default image and they have a date of Dec 31, 1969 at 7:00 PM. Shade is set for On My Ipad. I even tried to reload the examples but that didn’t help the date/time. I guess 16GB isn’t enough to run Shade. Not having any problems on my iPad Air 3 with 64GB memory.

@Bri_G I’m not having any problems loading Forest Floor. It takes about 6 seconds to fully load on an iPad Air 3 with 64GB memory.

@dave1707 - this is weird, Shade seems to run all demos on my iPad but crashed in the last version of Shade and the latest version when loading Forest Floor.

@John - just repeated and sent you a feedback note from the crash error. Just a thought, @Simeon mentioned that you built Shade within Codea. Is there any chance that it is still dependent upon Codea - including memory allocation - as I have a lot of files and data held within Codea. Just wondered if that could cause an issue as I don’t know how memory for iPad applications is allocated and if the ceiling automatically increases to accommodate requirements.

@Bri_G. While Shade is built on Codea it is still a separate app. It doesn’t matter if you have Codea or if you have a lot of projects/data in there.

The crashes are almost 100% certainly due to Shade requesting too much memory and iOS decides to kill it. Most of the memory usage is tied to textures, which for a shader with hundreds of nodes, can definitely strain older devices to the breaking point.

Unfortunately we have no way of knowing ahead of time how much memory we are allowed to use due to the way iOS works. There are a few low level optimisations I can work on to cut memory usage in half for textures. Hopefully that will fix these types of crashes for lower memory devices. Just a side note as well, the amount of storage available is not actually how much memory the device has. This is a separate spec (ram) which varies depending on the generation of the device.

Hi Shade team,

I would like to say that this app is absolutely the slickest and intuitive stand alone application yet, I come from a background in the gaming industry and have used numerous game engines and their shader systems. Really loving this right now.

@John I’m in the process of rebuilding my shader library inside Shade as a sort of exercise to see if shade is capable of everything :slight_smile: , One thing i seem to cant find is a Comparison Node, need some basic Less Than , Equal to etc type nodes, unless im missing something

Overall amazing application, cant wait for the next update

-M

@Moferad

Thanks for the feedback!

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?
http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/If

or

https://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/Compare_(AGreaterB)

I can add this to Shade in the next update (was planning to add eventually anyway).

@John yes exactly! , Amplify has “Compare” Nodes that is essentially the “If” node stripped down to the individual expressions , It really depends on how intuitive and clearly the UI displays to the user what the node is doing , some people prefer the if node layout (with all comparison options) some prefer the individual nodes for each comparison :slight_smile:

One other feature that would be awesome is the ability to clamp textures , (wrap , mirror ,clamp etc)

@Moferad

Ok, I’ve created a Compare node that lets you do any logical comparison between two values of the same type. It works with floats and vectors (vectors are compared use component-wise comparison functions.

@John Hell yes! Thank you! Ill continue to keep an eye out for any missing crucial nodes :slight_smile:

@John does shade have a discord that im able to join? Btw this is awesome whens the next milestone date for an update? (no rush just curious :slight_smile: )

Thank you!

@Moferad the discord is at https://discord.gg/UeyQCt

@Moferad The compare node is now live on the app store version of Shade btw

@John Hell yes! thank you John! aww looks like the invite expired

Try this one: https://discord.gg/xX9Pg7q

@John that one worked thank you,

A few other additions of nodes I could recommend, “Sun Direction and Ambient Color” , sometimes its easier to just use the sun direction used in the environment preview settings when testing some custom lighting shaders