Shade - Pro Shader Editing for iOS (Version 1.3 now out)

@Bri_G I loaded my demo and followed my directions and when I ran the demo, it drew a cube with the shader covering it. The shader didn’t show in the Codea Dropbox folder until I exited Codea and came back in. Even though it didn’t show at first, the demo still worked.

@dave1707, @piinthesky - thanks guys it did work after restarting Codea. Funny though the icon used for the shader in Dropbox assets was the old text one rather than the usual shader image which was also used for other shaders. Odd.

In the other shader thread, for the Ocean shader they managed to animate it by using a line like

material.time =ElapsedTime

In the update(). Function. any ideas on that?

@John - tried to run advanced examples Fractal Raymarch and Rain wouldn’t run on my pad. Updated Shade, still wouldn’t run, loaded 14 day trial, still wouldn’t run. Both came back with a screen error and blue text code in the reference window.

@Bri_G I have no problems with those two shaders. I’m running an iPad Air with the latest iOS and Shade.

@Bri_G Have you tried restoring the examples.

@dave1707 - how do you restore in Shade? Delete then load from where?

@Bri_G @John I’m getting the same error when I try to load Toon Fire. Toon Fire just shows a generic icon instead of an image icon for the shader like the others do.

@Bri_G @John I deleted Toon Fire and restored the shaders. Toon Fire worked OK.

@Bri_G Open Shade and tap the folder icon at the top right of the screen. There’s an option to restore examples.

@John, @dave1707 - tried the restore and no joy still came back with the error. Ran it several times and still no joy. Tried the delete option an crashed out of Shade. Also managed to crash Shade by running several shaders but haven’t been able to duplicate that.

Is this a feature of the 14 day Trial version?

@Bri_G, no this is just a new node that is required by that particular example. This might indicate that the app bundle itself has not been correctly updated for some reason (i.e. corrupted). The node itself is actually defined in a file within the app. If for some reason that file is not up to date it won’t be able to load any shader graphs that use it.

Do all of the other examples work as expected? Does the SD Octahedron appear within the library? How about Switch by Face, Blur or Texture Size?

If all else fails maybe try deleting the app (don’t forgot to make copies of any shaders inside the app folder first), restarting your device and then reinstall from TestFlight.

@John - all examples except the two mentioned above work fine. None of the library options you mentioned can be found by searching. Hope that helps.

All - anyway I can see the shader generated in Shade? I downloaded the Ocean shader into the a project using the code from @dave1707 above and it ran OK, I could load the shader in , but - when I tried to view the shader code in text format I couldn’t use the shader editor in Codea, soI am struggling to get the shader in Codea to animate seems like you need to link the shader into the os timeline.

@dave1707, (@John if your not busy) - just re-installed Shade and found that all the demos work. I did manage to crash out again after testing all the demos, I ran Rain again then tried to close the shader and it crashed to Pad top.

Also, this may just my misunderstanding (as I am a little behind with Shade - awsome updates) I went through the 14 day trial again and got to the editor screen - loaded up one of my recent play shades (very simple adding a texture directly to Diffuse on the sphere). Loads up great but seems to retain a colour that I had deleted so it’s not the texture colour. It doesn’t allow me to disconnect the texture, just scrolls around the screen, and every time I touch the texture node I get the Buy Shade prompt flashing up. Touching the Texture needs occasionally generates a yellow border with an eye symbol top right. Any new documentation - is it all in the Reference?

By the way - do you display Shade version number and status anywhere - like trial x days, V1.02(19) which may help in future. Top of the reference list would be a good place.

@Bri_G are you on the Shade beta (1.0.2) or release version? I think the features @John mentioned are in the beta but I’m not aware who is on it

@Bri_G if you go Library → Reference → Build Notes it should have the latest version number near the top.

@Simeon @John - thanks for the feedback, not sure what version I was on when I started catching up, but - I am now on 1.0.2 (19) and slowly going through the reference and forums.

Noted with interest that you can develop shaders on a browser with JavaScript. Looking into that as a possible way to get deeper into this technology - now very much on the surface.

@John i notice an interesting ‘feature’ of the dissolve shader- even with material.time=0 the shader will animate if the 3d object is moving! Is this because you use the node position(world) rather than position(object)?

@John I’m on the latest version of Shade and on 2 occasions when I was looking around in the reference, my iPad crashed. I would end up with the spinning indicator for about 7 seconds before the message Press Home Button to Start or something like that. After it happened the first time I tried to recreate it but couldn’t. That was a few days ago. It just happened again today when I was in the reference again. I’m on a 16GB iPad Air with the latest iOS.

PS. Make that 3 times. I went back into the reference again to look around and my iPad crashed again. I get a black screen with the spinning indicator then the message Press Home to Open. I’ll try to see if I can force it to happen.

PS. That didn’t take long. I opened a shader, then the library. I selected Browse Reference then tapped on Build Notes. Crash.

PS. Tried it again and nothing happened. Tried tapping on Build Notes again and I couldn’t get it to do anything. It’s like it was ignoring what I was doing. Tried tapping on other things without it doing anything.

@dave1707 Thanks for the feedback. I’ll see if I can reproduce that.

@piinthesky That would be correct. If you switch to object space position it will remain consistent when moving around.