sad

How many times I lost weeks of code because of AirCode. It’s enough. I quit.

I’ve been playing with Codea for 4 years and haven’t used AirCode once. Well maybe once when it first came out just to see how it worked. All my coding is done on the iPad with the built in keyboard. Codea is too much fun to quit using it.

@moechofe2, sorry to hear that. But, to echo what @dave1707 said, Codea is too good to walk away from it. Pretty much all software in existence has bugs… :slight_smile:

If you prefer to edit code on a computer, you may want to consider some form of source control. You’ll never lose your work again, once your master it. There are various options for Codea, ranging from simple Dropbox backups to using git clients such as Working Copy or codea-scm. Give it a try!

Codea’s hardware keyboard support is good too. Remember since iOS 9 (or was it 8?) you can hold down command key in any application to see a popover listing all the keyboard shortcuts. You can use the tab key to cycle through the autocomplete suggestions that Codea gives.

The only time I ever lost data to aircode was when the tab had an error in it (code wouldn’t parse) and then swapped tabs. Is that you’re problem?

Yes @TechDojo, that was my problem. Sometimes, when I had an error, nor AceEditor or Codea tell me. Then If I hit refresh, the tabs are not synchronized and sometimes the tabs simply disappears. In my last case, it was 4 tabs of two months of code. I’m sad because:

1. Codea allow to save code with error using the built-in editor but not with Air Code.
  2. The other code editor I’m using as a developer (Vim) released 24 years ago, knows how to never delete user’s code. But Codea don’t.

You right @juce, Codea is too good to twalk away. I just try Pythonista, a really great tool but not ideal to make games.
Also, IMHO using a version control is not a good solution to try fixing bugs.

@yojimbo2000: It’s an option, but I’m using a TypeMatrix with a DVORAK disposition, and they don’t sell bluetooth keyboard, sadly.

So I decide to simply never use Air Code again.

@moechofe2 I code most of the time on my Mac via Air Code but I don’t code in the browser itself. Instead I work with BBEdit and copy/paste to Air Code. This way I never had problems with Air Code and always have local copies on my Mac. Instead of buying BBEdit try the free version TextWrangler.

Or Atom or Sublime - both really good editors on the Mac :slight_smile:

@TechDojo Absolutely! There are a lot of great code editors even for free. BBEdit is just my fav for many years. One could even use Xcode (if bold enough :smiley: ).
What i was trying to say is: Don’t rely on coding in the browser using Air Code. Using an external editor and copy/paste makes life much saver… :wink:

personally, I would not like to use thousand tools to just write to codea over wifi. If there is AirCode, then it should work properly or be removed completely! Thats why we have no reference translations: if they are incomplete, then they are pretty much useless… just my 2 cents.

@se24vad Can’t agree. Air Code has it’s advantages as well as some downsides. To “remove it completely”, because you don’t have the right workflow is selfish. And no, you don’t need “thousands of tools”. Just one to optimize your workflow, which you can get for free. What do you expect for only 15 bucks? This is not an IDE for thousands of bucks. To me, Air Code is a great option to code on my Mac. Just use it the right way. My 2 cents.

@HeiKoDea You right, 15$ is not much for this type of software. Actually I’m a big fan of Codea … and I don’t expect everything to be perfect. I’m also not selfish by any means! I do not ask to remove this feature - I just gave my opinion on how I would handle it with my own software. Software should (at least) do what it’s made for. AirCode was made for remote coding (and to have more workspace), sadly it doesn’t work, because it constantly loses data or messes up encryption (uft8, latin). I lost pretty much a whole project, which took me over 3 months. Thats painful, even if you’re just a hobbyist programmer.

PS: There is no “right” or wrong workflow. It is good if it fits you! And your workflow, might not fit me (and vice versa). I do know all the additional tools which you can get online for free, but to me it feels awkward to chain up such pipelines to “just quickly” write some lines of code on my mac.

Didn’t want to offend anyone, I just wrote my thoughts on this topic.

@se24vad Sorry for the word “selfish”, english is not my native language and sometimes my fingers are faster than my old brain. It wasn’t meant as it sounded. Sorry again.

Air Code’s biggest advantage is also it’s worst: It immediately runs & saves what one typed. If it can’t be interpreted many things can go wrong. As I don’t want to loose my hard work, I never trust any software, at least my own ;). I think people expect too much from Air Code. I would never use it for an important project but copy/paste from an external editor is the fastest way to get your code to the iPad. This way I always have backups and can type whatever comes to my mind while coding without stressing an interpreter with sentences like “Did I feed the cats?” instead of valid code. :slight_smile:

I only tried to show my way of using Air Code and I never lost one line of work this way. This was the OP’s topic.

Kind regards, Heiko

@HeiKoDea I understand you and your point. After all Codea is great(!) and remains the best app on the App Store :slight_smile: