editor error

@Simeon

I don’t remember this being mentioned, but I ran into this problem with the editor whenever I do a multi line indent. I set up this small function as a simple example. I you select the 3 print statements in the 1st example and do a mullti line indent using the indent key on the upper left of the keyboard, you’ll end up with the 2nd example. The 1st end statement has an extra e (eend) at the beginning. The cursor can’t be placed after the eend, but it goes between the n and the d. The color is also different for the first e. Also, if you start trying to delete and add lines where the end statements are, you end up with other weird things. I can’t give a specific example for that.

CODE BEFORE MULTI LINE INDENT

function xx()
    for x=1,5 do
    for y=1,5 do
    for z=1,5 do
    print(x)
    print(y)
    print(z)
    end
    end
    end
end

CODE AFTER MULTI LINE INDENT

function xx()
    for x=1,5 do
    for y=1,5 do
    for z=1,5 do 
         print(x)
         print(y)
         print(z)
   eend
    end
    end
end

.@dave1707 thanks for reporting this. It should be fixed in the next version (just tested your example and it works correctly).

Concerning multiline indent: is there a multiline back indent? Sometimes i want to do it, but i didn’t see the function in the keyboard

There is not — I agree that it is a very useful thing to have, though. I’ll need to consider how to include such a feature.

.@Simeon: perhaps shift + tab? Lots of text editors use shift+tab for reverse indent, so it’s already natural for some of us…in fact I’ve found myself doing it on a few occasions, only to remember that it doesn’t work.

Great.

Maybe you could also consider a ‘SUPR’ button (as in windows keyboard), that deletes the character at the right of the cursor? It could be included in the Delele button, that is quite large, by taping on the right part, as you did for some other buttons.

Also, when trying to click in numbers, to show the cursor and the keyboard, i really get a hard time: that never works (nothing happens, while it works perfectly if i click in some not-a-number text). I have to click elsewhere, then if i click the number it works : the cursor is there (with the restrictions already discussed about the spinner). So it is 2 taps needed instead of 1. But it is worse: because it works correctly in most of the code, that is not numbers, i forget about that, concentrated on my problem, and i have to tap 3,4 times before i remember if have to do it a special way for numbers.

Last, but not least, i really get annoyed by the fact that when i want to edit my code i have to double tap a word to select it, but since i remove the keyboard to inspect more code, when i double tap the word, if the word is in the bottom half of the screen, then the second tap does not select the word, but writes an unwanted letter instead, the letter of the keyboard that is at this position. (hum, this sentence is really long, but it is difficult to explain accurately). Then i have to suppress the letter, and double tap the word again. I happens really often to me, and i am sure i can’t be the only one to have this problem. The solution would be to add a small time when the keyboard pops up, saying that the click goes to the text not to the keyboard during this time. Or to bring the keyboard only after this delay (0.3s?), which would be simpler for you but might not be liked in the long run by users, to be checked.

These are little things, but they start to get bugging when you spend hours writing code on the ipad in landscape mode (i don’t write on the pc or on the bluetooth keyboard). And it is maybe not too much effort to solve.

Like @Jmv38, I have the issue where the double tap on a word when the keyboard is gone gives me an unwanted letter from when the keyboard springs up. A delay in registering key hits would help.

And while we’re at it, it would be nice if when using the number gutter to highlight lines, you didn’t have to bring up the keyboard first. The keyboard would automatically show when the highlighting is done.

.@dave1707 +1 for me.

I’d go for everything except the delete-right. Quite apart from the fact that I suspect you can’t change the delete button (as it’s part of the iOS keyboard not the extension row), I find that select-right+delete works just fine.

(I just got bitten by the dratted number spinners again today. Couldn’t figure out why my follow-the-touch code was doubling the x-value.)

.@dave1707, I asked that once, but @Simeon thought it would not be possible…