Codea 3.2 (215)

@Simeon - what are the requirements for linking mouse to iPad, tried linking one of my logitech mice but no joy - want to test with Codea.

@Simeon The undo key doesn’t work.

@dave1707 - thanks for logging that, I found it when I had the error posted in code, but I thought it was an after affect from that.

@Simeon i used to comment out a line by putting the ‘–’ in the first two columns, now they are indented next to the code, so it is different. I guess i can get used to it, but strange not to able to put them where i want.

Also, if i use the long press to initiate a text selection, it really takes a long time for the blue markers to appear at the start and end of the grey selected area.

@piinthesky I can put the —— anywhere I want. They can be left justified with as many spaces between them and the text or as many spaces before the —— and the text.

@Simeon I don’t know about anyone else, but I find the new editor really frustrating, to put it mildly. I don’t know if it was changed to make the support for the mouse or trackpad easier, but using the builtin keyboard is a pain. I’m spending more time trying to get the cursor where I want then doing actual coding. It’s like I’m constantly tapping on the screen to get the cursor near where I want to type, then finding the cursor and dragging it exactly where I want to type. A lot of times I end up selecting ranges of code, then I have to tap to unselect it, then try to move the cursor again. It’s like doubling or tripling the time it takes to do something. I’m not finding this enjoyable.

@dave1707 thanks for the undo key bug report. Fixed for next build

Yeah the cursor placement is different because it now follows the standard iOS editing conventions (like other apps, e.g., Notes). I’ll look into how much control I have over it

@dave1707 I’ll see if I can make it place the cursor exactly where you tap like it used to.

The change was more to eliminate many thousands of lines of my own code which tried to recreate Apple’s text editing experience (rendering selection handles, the gestures involved in moving them, how the caret blinks and moves) and replace it with the standard system behaviour now available in iOS 13. I felt like this would make the code base easier to maintain, and it also had the advantage that I didn’t need to try to emulate Apple’s trackpad and mouse support in text editing

@Simeon I thought it was something like that. It seems Apple never does anything to make things easy for the user. Then usually when they fix something they break something else. What they’re doing might work for things like Notes and the likes, but for editing code that has numbers, commas, brackets, math symboles, etc, it’s not working very well.

Just to get clear on your feedback, your main issue with the changed behaviour is:

• Caret doesn’t land exactly where you tap, instead it goes to the start or end of a word and you have to drag

If I can fix that one, would that make the new editor OK for you to use?

@Simeon The cursor placement was the biggest problem. If the cursor went where the touch was, like the old way, then that would work. I don’t think anything else was a problem.

@Bri_G do you also prefer the old cursor placement behaviour? That it goes exactly where you touched rather than to the start/end of word

@Simeon - in one word yes. If the Apple system just needs tuning to the Codea editor then I would probably adapt but at the moment, in this beta, as @dave1707 said - it takes a lot of pleasure out of coding.

I’'ve always liked the built in editor but discovering MS code and easy pasting in code from my Mac has given me a useful option - not checked that option with 214.

@Bri_G thanks for the response. So you would prefer the text insertion point lands exactly where you tap? Good to hear that you agree with dave

I’d prefer it this way as well

and me

Codea 3.2 (215)

• Caret now lands precisely where you tap
  • Undo menu item and keyboard button work again
  • Fixed bug where output pane aggregation bubble could appear on the left
  • Fixed appearance of find/replace editor highlight in dark theme
  • Xcode export updated to remove AudioKit dependency
  • When using a trackpad, hovering over the tab bar in the code editor will make it slide down if not visible

@Simeon Just a quick response, the placement of the Caret is perfect, thanks. Will test the other changes as I have more time.

@Simeon - just loaded 215 - thank you!. Can now place the cursor where you need it, you can even select and edit one parameter in a vector like vec2(x,y,z). I’m afraid your going to have to resign yourself to the fact that you have created a better editor than the fruit.

Thanks for the quick feedback @dave1707 @Bri_G, glad that fixed it for you!