Codea 2.6.2 (127)

@Bri_G odd! The syntax Dropbox:Emojis/ThumbsUp works OK for me. I wonder if your Codea Dropbox folder has not synced correctly.

You can check that the files are in there by navigating to On My iPad -> Codea -> Dropbox.assets in the Files app and checking that the files are all there.

@Simeon Found a problem with saveProjectTab.

If I try saveProjectTab(“projName:Main”,str) I get an error message saying

Main:5: 'Main' tab can not be deleted
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'saveProjectTab'
	Main:5: in function 'setup'

That stops my backup/restore program from working. The earlier versions allowed Main to be overwritten. Also, I tried the restore of the projects zip file and Codea crashed. Don’t know if you’ve been working on that yet.

@dave1707 that’s a bug in saveProjectTab. I’ll let this version of Codea get through review and then fix it in the next beta.

@Simeon - my apologies, ran through the whole process again checked everything. This time I noticed that the filetype png was in upper case. When I renamed the file and changed it to lower case in the filetype it ran OK.

@Bri_G oh that sounds like a bug in Codea if it’s not finding a png file with an upper case extension. I’ll add it to the list

@Simeon - don’t know if it’s convention but I got the idea that most file types are lower case. I’m sure I have met this problem before with obj and mtl files. If it is convention it’s not a bug, just something to be aware of.

@Simeon - weird bug, but trivial; when closing the editing window the window closes to be replaced by the project icon, the closure is occasionally a bit slow. In all cases it is vertically elongated (portrait mode) and horizontally (landscape mode), but in some cases the transition seems a little exaggerated. Is this a design feature

@Bri_G I’ve sped it up for the next release, you’re right that it’s a bit slow.

@Simeon - thanks, question - do you ever sleep ???

@Bri_G sometimes! I have three young kids so not as much as I’d like

Wooahh!!! Set icon instant on closing project, no more reboot!!! Excellent - thank you.

@Simeon - don’t know much about the speech in Codea but Granddaughter asked me to show her what it could do. Fealt a bit dumb when only the simplest code seemed to work. So tried a little expanding one of the examples, code below, but always uses one voice - why?

function setup()
    print("Hello Alice")
    -- An example of voices
    speech.language = "en-GB"
    -- List all voices
    count =1
    for _,v in pairs(speech.voices) do
        count = count + 1
        print(v)
        speech.voice = speech.voices[v]
        speech.say("Hello Alice")
        print(count)
end

Are there really 53 voices?

@Bri_G Try this. I replaced my original code. Not sure what speech.language is for.

function setup()
    for z=1,#speech.voices do
        speech.voice = speech.voices[z]
        speech.say("Hello Alice")
    end
end

@Bri_G Apparently you use speech.language when you don’t use speech.voice. Here’s an example that uses different language values from a language table. Apparently you can mix the different languages with the different voices. I’ll try that in another program.

function setup()
    lang={"ar-SA","cs-CZ","da-DK","de-DE","el-GR","en-AU","en-GB",
            "en-IE","en-US","en-US","en-ZA","es-ES","es-MX","fi-FI",
            "fr-CA","fr-FR","he-IL","hi-IN","hu-HU","id-ID","it-IT",
            "ja-JP","ko-KR","nl-BE","nl-NL","no-NO","pl-PL","pt-BR",
            "pt-PT","ro-RO","ru-RU","sk-SK","sv-SE","th-TH","tr-TR",
            "zh-CN","zh-HK","zh-TW"}

for z=1,#lang do
        speech.language=lang[z]
        speech.say("mary has "..z.." little lambs")
    end
end

@Simeon - I have had intermittent glitches with 127 Codea, dropping out of the app for no apparent reason - usually whilst I was editing.

Also I had another weird observation where I was editing a function low down in the listing (single page project. I added a - sign after a variable and the error cursor popped up. I noticed higher up in the code a section had been greened out a la commenting but no reason why. Adding a space or deleting the - sign corrected the problem. So far I have not been able to duplicate this.

Also another oddity, whilst editing a line just above the keyboard, the suggestions popped up above the keyboard right hand side and blocked access to the line I was editing, not visible so I couldn’t see what I was changing.

@Simeon - what I have been saying about the possible bug has just dumped my project.

I was editing one of my projects and could not find another project, that I wanted to use as a dependency, on the dependency list. In the end I used another project which I new had the routines I needed.

I selected the dependency, ran the project and Codea crashed. On restarting Codea and reloading the project I found a single blank tab. The project still retained its icon - but there was no code. Think I may move to a previous version.

Could this be down to my iPad?

@Simeon The Codea editor has been crashing for me also, but it’s been doing it for several releases now. It doesn’t do it that often or after anything I can repeat. I haven’t lost anything, so I’ve just been ignoring it. I would be changing something in the code and the editor would just crash.

@simeon yes for me too Codea seems a lot less stable since a few versions ago with spontaneous crashes during running/editing. but nothing repeatable that could be tracked down to a particular cause. have not lost any code.

@Simeon , @dave1707, @piinthesky - I was working on my iPad pro, latest iOS and Codea 127. I have been working mainly with emojis, speech and 3D views. The crashes haven’t appeared to be linked to anything in particular but I’m wondering if it could be related to a memory problem? Loss of the code in the editor seems odd. I assume Codea writes back the code when you run it.i don’t know if it’s real but the run button on the editor has seemed a little slow to respond recently.

@dave1707 - thanks for the demos, combined them in one file may be useful as a demo in Codea. Put both routines in with parameter.action() and your latter demo runs with different voices in different languages.