Codea 2.3.8 (82)

@Simeon Constant flickering with print, something is out of sync. This doesn’t happen on my iPad 1 with version1.5 . I don’t think this was happening in the last release, but I can’t go back to verify that.

function setup()
    tab={}
    for z=1,200 do
        table.insert(tab,z)
    end
    cnt=0
end

function draw()
    background(0)
    output.clear()
    print(table.concat(tab," "))
    cnt=cnt+1
    print()
    print(cnt)
end

Here’s another example

function setup()
    cnt=0
end

function draw()
    background(0)
    output.clear()
    print("this will start to flicker after running for awhile")
    cnt=cnt+1
    print(cnt)
end

@John @Simeon The flickering also happens in the Craft version 2.5 (80).

@John @Simeon,

Also flickers on iPad Pro iOS11 2.5(80), tried collectgarbage() on both but had no effect.

Does the output.clear() clear the accumulated string data as well as the screen area ?

@Simeon,

Just noticed on latest beta that a call to a none existent function wasn’t trapped. I put applepie() in the above program and the program ran without error?

IGNORE THIS - added applepie() to the colorpuzzle code on other thread, but it was enclosed in an if statement that was obviously not executed!!! Doh !!!

I don’t know if this is really a bug or not, but I shared a project from my iPad which was running 2.3.8(82) to an iPad running the previous version of Codea. The project didn’t run as it seemingly couldn’t find the function readImage() or something like that (got strange nils all over the place). Simply updating the other iPad to build 82 magically fixed it. Not a significant issue, but it seems worth mentioning.

@BigZaphod Later Codea versions might have new functions added that an older version doesn’t. So it’s not a bug, just an upgrade. You didn’t specify what older version you referring to, so I can’t say what new functions were different.

@dave1707, it was literally the last version. I don’t think any new functions were added since then. I’m wondering if there some kind of byte code cache that gets transferred as part of the zip archive, maybe, and that might not be cross-version compatible or something. shrug

@BigZaphod I don’t know the workings of the zip file, but it seems that it should have worked since a project should be just a text file when it’s executed. That sounds like it would be an interesting problem to look into, but my iPads are on the current version except for my iPad 1 which is still at version 1.5 .

@Simeon @se24vad This is in response to the post in the discussion Codea Craft 2.5 (74-77,80) Beta. I tried doing a lot of search & replace on my iPad Pro 12.9" model 1 and I didn’t run into any not working problems. I’m only on iOS version 10.3.3. What I did run into was problems with replacing something. Below is one example where find/replace didn’t work properly. To replicate this, duplicate Cargo-Bot to another project. Open the other project and do a find on name and replace all with namett. There should be 207 replaces. Below is what I got after doing that. This is from the tab IO, line 57. When I started over again and copied line 57 from tab IO and put a copy of it in the first tab, the replace was correct there, but still messed up in tab IO. It looks like it starts messing up in the tab Music. This is on Codea version 2.3.8 (82). Another thing that should be corrected is upper/lower case. Lower case name shouldn’t replace upper case Name or all upper case NAME.

-- original line
local filename  = IO.topScoreFilename(levelName)

-- did a replace of name with namett
local filenamett = IO.topScoreFinamettme(lnamettName)

@Simeon Here’s a simpler example of the find/replace problem I mention above. Create a new project with only this line in Main. Create a new tab Name with only that line. If you replace dog with cat, it seems to work in both tabs. If you replace cat with bear, it gets messed up in the tab Name. It seems that there’s a problem going to another tab with a replacement word that’s larger then the original word.

-- dog  AdogA BBdogBB CCCdogCCC

@dave1707 that’s why I suggested @Simeon to implement regex expressions for find&replace, so that one can replace parts in words or strictly matching whole words…

I’m on a new iPad Pro 12.9" and having similar problems to @MMGames with shaders. Actually, as well as trying to edit shaders causing the app to crash, they also don’t seem to be working in the running code.

For example opening the “Shader” example project where it is supposed to show a sprite with a shader applied, with the (default, unless I changed it and later forgot) ripple shader it is just showing the selected image with no apparent alteration. I tried swapping to some others and in some cases it seemed to show a black rectangle, in others no visible geometry.

I’m not familiar enough with the app to know how it’s supposed to report shader compile errors etc. I hadn’t used it for a while, previously had it on old iPad3, don’t know if any of my old restored data from iTunes backup might be interfering somehow.

OK, I see that going into Shader Lab from the main front page is working OK.

… and now everything seems to be working ok. I can’t think of anything I’ve done that would have changed anything; didn’t restart the device, kill other apps etc. ****ing computers…

I was experiencing a fair few problems before with the interface hanging etc. Maybe it was going into ShaderLab once from the front page that got the app into a better mood.

So it would appear I spoke a bit too soon with previous message; I do still see a problem with the UI freezing when I start trying to get into the shader editor via the place where it’s referred to by a shader() call.

Also, I am seeing bugs in the text editor itself, with it getting confused about which text to render on which line. This is in the shader editor, I haven’t done any significant editing of Lua yet since coming back to the app. I hope I’m not acting out of forum etiquette with this stream of posts.

@xinaes no that’s fine — your feedback is really valuable.

@dave1707 really appreciate your simple example with the find/replace bug. Will fix.

@se24vad I have some plans for regex find/replace. Trying to do a few things so hopefully I can put it in.

I did a bit more Lua editing last night, and didn’t witness the rendering defects in the text editor that I am experiencing with GLSL.

Oh, and great work on the software @Simeon, glad to see it still going strong.

@Simeon @John Here’s something else to look into. When I double tap on a Codea keyword and then tap on Reference, there were times where it took maybe 7 seconds for it to respond. It’s not on specific words, because I exited Codea and came back in and doing the same keyword got an instant response. I’ll see if I can come up with a cause.

@simeon, @john, i notice the screen capture image is in .jpeg format. Could this be .png so that the alpha channel is preseved in the image?