Clumsy Boxing

Hello all!

I have spent the last couple of months working on a game called Clumsy Boxing. As the name implies, it’s a boxing game with intentionally very clumsy controls. Generally it’s just a fun game to play for little chunks at a time. After lots of hard work, I think it is almost ready for release. I have a few more things to finish up and then I’d love to get it out to you guys.

So, I’m posting here to gauge interest and see if anyone is interested in being a beta tester - I’d really appreciate it.

Here is a short trailer I put together showcasing the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKr-BOh5FTU&list=UUel0-lw_-XkHWNSnTW16AuQ

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

EDIT: It is now available via testflight!

Feedback wise, I’d love to get thoughts on the following:

• Performance (is it running smoothly)
  • UI (do you like the layout? do things look alright on your device?)
  • Music (is it annoying? do you like it? i’m open to finding some different music)
  • The Idea (is the concept (and execution) fun?)
  • Game modes (is training mode lame? do you love/hate armmageddon? is training mode too hard? etc.)

Looks like fun! I see you’re making a silly game with intentionally bad controls, like the craze is nowadays (Goat Simulator, I Am Bread, etc.) Is that multiplayer local (on the same device), global (networking/http), or just AI?

That looks incredibly fun @JakAttak, reminds me of Ragdoll Masters from a long time ago.

@JakAttak i love your trailer!

@SkyTheCoder, thanks. I was actually inspired by some older games, QWOP and Pole Riders, never heard of I Am Bread.

There is local multiplayer and AI.

@Simeon, @Jmv38, thanks.

Wow, love it. is the opponent reacting or is he just a sparring partner?

Looks fun - happy to beta test if you are still looking

Great trailer! I didn’t get what are the two black circles in the middle?

@JakAttak - looks really cool, don’t know if it would help but how about adding a bit more “personality” to the boxers, maybe actually use some comic style muscular arm graphics that actually stretch a bit as you move around, maybe a body too.

Also how about a couple of frames for different heads that have different expressions when you hit or take damage. Maybe even use the camera so you can take photos of yourself and or your friends and use their heads?

How are you planning on doing the beta test - will you be using testflight?

@deactive, thanks. You can play with another player (locally) or against an AI with varying difficulties

@West, great, thanks!

@piinthesky, those are just buttons :slight_smile: Pause and Quit.

@TechDojo, thanks, will revisit this idea once I finish the features I’m working on (Game Center)

Here is my testflight link if any one wants to sign up: http://tflig.ht/14WhjqK

Sorry about the delay guys, I’m having an issue in the runtime with Game Center and physics.

I’ve decided to push out a build anyways to get some feedback, but it won’t include Game Center (for now). All those who have signed up, it should be available to you now.

I’m not sure how the game will translate to iPhone so those of you who have one I’m extra interested in that feedback. Thanks!

Well, first off I can say…touch detection is very inconsistent. It’s hard to play the game and give feedback at this point because it can take many tries for a button to count as pressed, or to recognize your finger on the screen trying to control an arm. I played a lot of rounds and most of the time the enemy just ran at me and won, while I was trying to move but it wasn’t recognizing it. How is your touch detection set up, and is there any way to make it more consistent?

@SkyTheCoder, that’s weird… I’ve never had any issues like that. Any chance you could take a video showing the issue?

Is anyone else having touch issues?

@JakAttak — No touch issues, but the controls are hard. I win like 1 out of every 10 matches, on easy. Apart from that, I fell that some of the after-game quotes should be on the loser’s side. For example, “One punch could have changed the outcome!”, and stuff like that.

@Saturn031000,

1. glad to hear you’re not having any touch issues

2. the hard controls are pretty much the point of the game. To beat the ai, it helps to get in between their arms from the beginning. after a bit you should be able to beat all of them except impossible

3. after-game quotes might actually end up not show in AI matches, i made them with local multiplayer in mind

@JakAttak — What do you have in mind for Game Center leaderboards? I was thinking maybe the time taken to beat each AI opponent and the score in training.

Side note: My name isn’t there in the beta testers list.

@Saturn031000, sorry I will update the beta testers list for the next build. I wasn’t planning on doing any leader boards, I was just going to do achievements

Quick note: Beta Testers credit will be the name you provided through TestFlight. If anyone wants something else put there (or nothing at all) PM me and I can do that for you.

@JakAttak Can you make some sort of option to show my touches on the screen? I get the glitch every time I play the game and can record it on my Mac, but without being able to see when I touch and nothing happens, you can’t tell much is wrong (it might just seem like I took a long pause, or didn’t react fast enough)

@SkyTheCoder, yes I sent build 2 out only to you, it includes a new settings toggle for show touches.

Build 3 includes Game Center, hopefully it works correctly I made a handful of changes to the add on to get things running smoothly.

Currently there is just one achievement, 200 training matches, because I only added one before iTunes Connect shut down ( :frowning: ), but I have a whole list of achievements I will be adding once it reopens.

Feedback wise, I’d love to get thoughts on the following:

• Performance (is it running smoothly)
  • UI (do you like the layout? do things look alright on your device?)
  • Music (is it annoying? do you like it? i’m open to finding some different music)
  • The Idea (is the concept (and execution) fun?)
  • Game modes (is training mode lame? do you love/hate armmageddon? is training mode too hard? etc.)