Beta Test

Thanks, the circles are vector image. The lives idea is a very interesting. I will improve the tutorial as you suggest too. For the average size, I think as people play their average size will be smaller but it will be improve too.
May I ask you what’s your current high score? Mine is about 180,000.

Man… That’s crazy. I just got 22,000. :(( The app glitches out where the circle keeps growing when you let up your finger. It happens when you open multitasking, but sometimes, it happens randomly. Some other ideas to keep the user playing:
Add a gravity and vortexes mode. In gravity, the balls fall and bounce, and in for text, the balls go towards kind of like a black hold. Just an idea.
Also, I hope you add GameCenter to this, because it would really make it awesome.

The trick is you have to make bunch of small circles for the multiplier and then a few big circles for the score.
I will surely add GameCenter soon (Have to wait for Reefing’s tute :p). These are cool idea, have you encountered the bonus circle black hole or a red gun in the game?
I’ll see what cause that problem.
Thank you for your kind respond and idea, glad to hear you enjoy it.

How do you get accepted to the beta? UPDATE: nvm

Love the game! My strategy: maintain one huge circle in the middle surrounded by tiny circles

Hello wave. I just installed your last beta. I have some problems:

• cannot get out the ‘how to play’ screen.
  • cannot restart the game once i have lost.
    I have ipad1 ios5.1

@JakAttak Glad to hear you love the game. What’s your high score? :slight_smile:

@Jmv38 have you tried holding your finger until the red circle button stop expanding.

@wave I would add the information about how you die somewhere. Maybe you could have a “Brief introduction” and a longer section to explain more details.

I sometimes find that I die without understanding why. I think it would be useful to put the reason why you died on the “you died” screen. Maybe also pause before bringing that screen up, or have some short sequence highlighting what it was that killed you.

I agree with Zoyt that it needs a little more to keep me playing (though I’m not really one who plays games much so I wouldn’t heed what I say on this all that much). At the moment it’s one of those that I’ll play for a couple of minutes and then put aside. However, within that category then it’s fun and I like the idea.

In the “reasons you died” statistic, what’s the difference between the two variants of overlapping circles (one white, one black)? And how do you die in the explosion? I haven’t managed that one yet.

(Current high score: 31,149)

@Andrew_Stacey I have the highlighting like when you collide with other circle your latest circle become red and others become white and black hole, black. If you get shot you will see a red circle with the bullet in it.

I will add a little text on the game over screen explaining why you die.

In the statistic, one white is you collide with another ordinary circle. The black one is you collide with the black hole. And the explosion is you fail to defuse the bomb.

If it isn’t clear I will have a text mode to switch to in the statistic scene. Which will replace the image with text. Do you think it would be good?

The current feature in game play are

1. Bonus circle (yellow one passing a screen)
  2. Black hole (sucks everything)
  3. Bomb
  4. Gun & Red gun (Red gun will destroy all the circle it pass through)

Should they come out more frequent? I want to add more but I didn’t have any idea yet.

I’ve yet to encounter the bonus circle, black hole, or red gun.

I muddled up the explosion death (from failing to defuse the bomb) with the fact that the circles explode eventually - I assumed that I wasn’t to create a new circle while an old one was exploding (but couldn’t work out quite how that worked). That certainly clarifies things.

As you explain more in this thread then I’m getting to understand more about how it works and what I see. What would be nice would be for some way to get that understanding in first. Lengthy texts aren’t the answer, though. Perhaps a tutorial or demo would help.

Oh, and I’d put the health factor near the time factor. These are the two that one wants to constantly monitor so it would be easier if they were next to each other.

I have uploaded a new build with new how to play menu and game center (tap your high score in menu to bring up the leader board) and some game play improvement.

Thank you for all your comment and suggestion. If you have any issue, please tell me.

I have ubderstood how to restart, so i played a little bit. Comments:

• i like the colors,
  • this is an original principle, i like that,
  • the fluidity is not 100% on the ipad1, you can probably improve that? This is important for game pleasure,
  • long press on button is not usual nor very pleasant for ‘quick users’. Since it is not part of the gameplay, maybe you should consider implementing a simple tap?
    Great work!

New update again
This is a hot fix update of the saving score to game center issue.

@Jmv38

Thanks for the comment, in the update I improved all the button to be able to perform a simple tap now.

For the fluidity, I felt it in my iPad 2 too and I think It’s one of the major problems. I’m trying to improve it but it’s the hardest problem I faced with this game.

I like the better explanations but I don’t like all the text when I’m playing: it’s distracting and gets in the way.

hi @wave
if you publish the codea code (or send it to me if your want it to be private) i’ll have a look at it for you, and maybe i’ll have some advice. I’ve been very careful with fps these last 6 months… With the number of objects you have i think it should be real time. You can look at how @Spirokoi has done his game (check my site), the objects are quite similar (but not the game principles).

@Andrew_Stacey I’ve made it less in the latest build now, thanks for the comment :slight_smile:

@Jmv38 I have sent it to you in a message. Thank you for your kind help.

The game has gotten much bett. Great job on the instructions and GS. Possibly you just want to add new game modes, and you’re good to go.

Thanks, I have an idea for a multiplayer mode. But it will take a lot of time and right now I don’t know how to make a real time multiplayer with Codea yet. So I think I will do it as an update in the future. And also I want to see if it’s success or fail first…

And I’m afraid that if it has another game mode, first time player will be too overwhelm with information. What do you think?

your docs are organized well, and the game is pretty self-explanatory. I say to go for the new modes.
As for multiplayer, if you were to use HTTP, it’s slow and it’s best for asynchronous games like Letterpress. Try implementing a SQL library through the runtime or use GC’s built in multiplayer API. I like the idea though.
You might also want to suggest adding achievements.
Good luck!