Where can I find vertices for a font?

I want to make physics bodies in the shape of letters. I assume fonts are defined somewhere in terms of vertices or a pixel map, but am not familiar with typography and must not be searching the right terms on google. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

You can convert fonts to different formats using the program fontforge. Of particular use will be the bitmap formats and the SVG format.