Version 1.4.4 Now Available

Another thing, since this new version using the “tab” key to move right selected code has become far far slower if the selected area is large (I mean, like 20 lines), with also high risk of crashes.

Thanks @shrike, I’ll look at optimising that use-case.

@Jmv38 thanks for the report. I’m trying to re-create the issue here but I’m not having much luck.

@shrike thank you for this. I’ve sped up the block indent function a lot, and also made it undo-able.

Hi @Simeon, I’m testing the new 1.4.5 beta and have not managed to crash it yet with indenting and typing quickly on tabs with long code. Looks like you have improved the stability - thanks!

@Fred thanks for testing it! The next build improves the indenting significantly (thanks to @shrike’s feedback).

@simeon just to help: the crahing may be due to the fact i switch very frequently between projects, and the codea forum, because i am learning the language. Recently i had another issue: i draw bouncing circles (25) and write their number inside. Well, twice out of 30 runs, i had a bug where everything was fine, except the number was not written, but a big arc of ellipse was drawn inside the circles instead. Once started it does that in all the next runs. Just killing and restarting codea cures the problem, without changing anything in the code. Good luck!

And the typing will be much faster, based on the 1.4.5(2) beta. I noticed it is now much faster to type at the beginning of a long tab of code. Still slow at the end, but it doesn’t crash. Thanks!

I have not updated to version 1.4.4, I still use version 1.4.3, Why?

I as a JAVA programmer I realized that ARC could cause damage to Codea.

By the way, xCode is like JAVA as concept, and I know xCode 10%.

Even if I don’t have a Mac, I learned some xCode.

I want to be shorter, I have two questions for @Simeon :

• 1. In what way will help ARC? To code much faster, right?
  • 2. ARC was released with iOS version 5 since 2011, why now you decide to use ARC, It was your idea or an online friend suggested you to use ARC?
Hope You're not mad at me for question number 2, don't take it personally, I just want to know, is a curiosity. In conclusion I want to say that I'm not mad at you, I just want to ask some questions, that's all.
Have a day full of wonders!

@Georgian, just to clarify, the ARC change is only an internal change, and does not mean that you will now have to use XCode/Arc/Objective-C when programming in Codea. Codea 1.4.4 still uses Lua as the ‘client facing’ language.

@Georgian because ARC is better. As @peteroyle says, we’re going to ensure that the experience is identical to you as a Codea user. There might be some bugs during the transition though, but be assured that I’m working on those.

ARC scared me a little bit, Now it’s much better. Thank you for answers! :slight_smile:

my understanding is that Lua comes with garbage collection - which is great.

For Objective C, ARC is heaps better to develop with than the previous retain/release malarky.

Hey guys, I screenshotted a few pictures of this error, this time with meshes, text, and rects. Check it out here

Thank you @Jordan, that’s helpful.