V3.4.3 (298) (299) (300)

@Simeon I feel dumb, I just needed to update iOS, and it works fine on my iPad now. I love the new undo button on the phone. I think the dark mode menus look great. And I love that the edit menu now says “paste and preserve formatting“.

@Simeon - I have gone back over the beta versions installing them and running to check the delay in loading issue. All were slow until I installed 291. That returned to screen up very quickly. Did you find anything when @dave1707 reported the loading issue?

p.s. After using 291 for a while I remember the issue of the juddering screen associated with it. Perhaps the problem started before 291.

@Bri_G I’m confused with your comment, maybe I’m not reading it right. For me, version 291 took about 7 seconds to load from the time I tapped the Codea icon until the list of projects showed. For versions 292, 293, 294, it loaded immediately. Right now I’m back on version 291 because the later version crashed so much I gave up on them.

@dave1707 - worked back from 294 and all versions slow. I’m wondering if there was residue left in the latter installations that could clash with earlier versions. My system took minutes not seconds with latter versions. I can’t explain it unless it’s to do with the network which might have drop outs, but that would imply that Codea links up with Dropbox on initially running.

@Bri_G If you think it’s a Dropbox issue, have you tried unlinking Dropbox and see if it goes faster. Or maybe taking you iPad off line and trying that way also.

@Simeon @John OK I have just spent hours and hours and hours trying to find a bug, and you’ve probably seen crash report after crash report after crash report from me, usually referring to CodeaUnit and an abundance of iterations.

I think I finally tracked this down, and it puzzles the heck out of me, and I have no way to reproduce it.

Do you know how Codea won’t let you just put “return“ in the middle of a function if it has code after it?

It makes an error, right? If I need to truncate a function for testing purposes, I usually put “if true then return end” as a temporary measure.

For some reason, there was a section of my code where I written just “return“ in the middle of a function—not “if true then return end”, just “return”—and yet it was not throwing an error. In fact it seems like it was ignoring the line all together, and executing code after the return statement.

It took me hours to realize, hey, it should be throwing an error here! When I changed it to “if true then return end” the crashes stopped happening.

The only other tidbit of information I can supply is that when I tried to write a print statement just below the misfit “return” statement, an error did appear, but that error said it was expecting an “end” statement, and when I removed the print statement that error went away.

In the attached image you can see that section of code in the editor, with no error flagging the incorrect “return” statement.

@dave1707 this is really odd. No matter what I do, I can’t seem to reproduce your hanging/crashing issue. I can’t even see any of your crashes in the TestFlight feedback (I see yours, @UberGoober, and will look into them)

I’ll keep trying, I wonder if there is a specific set of circumstances around your installation

Is anyone else seeing the editor crash when typing the line:

a=asset.documents.all

@Simeon I reloaded version 294 and keyed in the a=asset line again and it hung and then crashed.

I type the a=a and selected asset from the autocomplete. I typed the period then d and selected documents from the autocomplete. I then typed the period and that’s when Codea was unresponsive. It eventually crashed after about 10 seconds. I sent another crash report too. This was on an iPad Air 3 latest iOS.

I tried it again. Codea became unresponsive but didn’t crash. I had to force close it and then a crash popup showed.

I tried keying the a=asset line without using autocomplete and it still hung when I keyed the period after documents.

Tried it on my iPhone and it didn’t hang.
It also didn’t hand on an iPad Air 4 or iPad Pro 1.

Version 293 also hangs on the iPad Air 3.

Version 292 also hangs on the iPad Air 3. This time the only thing that was responsive was that I was able to slide the autocomplete bar to show things that were in my project list.

@Simeon @dave1707 @UberGoober - in my installation I don’t get a crash with

a = asset.documents.all

Not; I tested that after stripping loadsa files from my Dropbox and root. Could it be related to file types?

@UberGoober - I also found that an error is posted when return is followed by code (see the attached image).

@dave1707 this is frustrating. I can see your crashes (2 of them) in the crash feedback, but yours download as corrupt zip files. This is a problem with Apple’s crash reporting and appears to be only affecting your crashes

I’ve tried doing another build (295) where I have fixed some more bugs and added another feature (long press on a project on the main screen to show its assets)

@Simeon It appears to only affect documents. If I do asset.builtin or asset.downloads or assets.all it doesn’t hang.

@Simeon Loaded version 295 and Codea didn’t hang on the a=asset.documents.all line. Looks like whatever was wrong is fixed. Will try testing the other things added.

Where is the show assets that was added.
Never mind, I found it.

@Simeon Version 295 is back to taking 7 seconds to load until the list of projects are shown.

@Bri_G I think what you’re seeing is the correct behavior, and what’s happened on my end is erroneous behavior, especially because mine is also accompanied by crashes galore.

@Simeon I love the new project asset browser! Is there a way we could have that inside a project? Currently if I want to see a project’s assets I have to type readimage() first, and remember to delete it after.

@dave1707 interesting, I’ve isolated the code which causes the slow down on launch. I know how to fix it and will look at improving the launch time

@UberGoober good point, I could make it a menu item within the editor

@dave1707 I wonder if the contents of your Documents folder is particularly large, or there are contents which cause a slow down when iOS attempts to list the directory

The 7 second slow down is caused by Codea attempting to index your Documents folder prior to launch (when it was launching quickly for you, I had modified that code to index Documents on a background thread, but that caused other issues). I wonder if there is something unique about your Documents folder — whether the number of files, or folders, or projects, or even their names

@Simeon i also see a rather long delay for the launch. I do have many of codea files, but not an enoromous amount! The asset browser is a very welcome improvement.

great updates so far, i wanted to give my 2c on the asset picker

i avoid using it completely because it doesn’t have folders/subfolders

i’m working on a large game so having all my assets be at the same root level is just messy, currently all my assets are outside my project like this

asset.documents.MyAssetsFolder.Sprites.Characters.CharA.AnimationName.frame1

@Simeon If I run the below code, it shows 746, which are my projects. Projects are all I have in documents. As for names, I have some projects with names that start with a # or numbers so they show at the beginning of the project list when sorted by name.

function setup()
    a=asset.documents.all
    print(#a)
end

@Simeon Something else that might be nice in the editor is to be able to tap on something that will show all the assets. Like when you’re in the project list and you swipe right to show Reference, Assets, Shader Lab, Air Code and then select Assets. That shows a list of just about everything.