Unexpected error

I copied and pasted one of the examples. I get an error on the line containing function setup(). Sometimes syntax error and sometimes ‘=‘ expected near function.
Why would this be?

Could you post more information. What example. Also a copy of several lines showing the code you got the error on.

I am trying to learn how to do a button. Hopefully I have included a photo showing the error.

Other wise here is the code as copied and pasted. The error happens on the function setup() line.

Ken

go

– Simple Button

– Use this function to perform your initial setup
function setup()

end

– This function gets called once every frame
function draw()
– This sets a dark background color
background(40, 40, 50)
– This sets the line thickness
strokeWi4dth(5)
–draw the button (a rectangle)
–WIDTH/2-100 is the x coordinate of the bottom left corner. This is the centre of the screen moved 100 pixels to the left
–HEIGHT/2-50 is the y coordinate of the bottom left corner. This is the centre of the screen minus 50 pixels down
–200 is the width of the rectangle
–100 is the height of the rectangle
rect(WIDTH/2-100,HEIGHT/2-50,200,100)
end

function touched(t)
–this function is called every time the screen is touched
–checks to see if the touch (represented by t) is inside the limits of the rectangle, if it is then play the sound
if t.x>WIDTH/2-100 and t.x<WIDTH/2+100 and t.y>HEIGHT/2-50 and t.y<HEIGHT/2+50 then
sound(“A Hero’s Quest:Attack Cast 1”)

end

end

Here’s a working copy of your code.

-- Simple Button

function setup()
end

-- This function gets called once every frame
function draw()
    -- This sets a dark background color
    background(40, 40, 50)
    -- This sets the line thickness
    strokeWidth(5)
    --draw the button (a rectangle)
    --WIDTH/2-100 is the x coordinate of the bottom left corner. This is the centre of the screen moved 100 pixels to the left
    --HEIGHT/2-50 is the y coordinate of the bottom left corner. This is the centre of the screen minus 50 pixels down
    --200 is the width of the rectangle
    --100 is the height of the rectangle
    rect(WIDTH/2-100,HEIGHT/2-50,200,100)
end

function touched(t)
    --this function is called every time the screen is touched
    --checks to see if the touch (represented by t) is inside the limits of the rectangle, if it is then play the sound
    if t.x>WIDTH/2-100 and t.x<WIDTH/2+100 and t.y>HEIGHT/2-50 and t.y<HEIGHT/2+50 then
        sound(asset.downloaded.A_Hero_s_Quest.Attack_Cast_1)        
    end
end

Hi t,hanks that worked except for the sound file of course :
sound(asset.downloaded.A_Hero_s_Quest.Attack_Cast_1)
I will try and work out how to put a file in there.

Also I discovered what was causing the error in the original script. For some reason line 1 contained the word go. I took that out and all good.

Cheers