Sound function

I want to dig deep into the sound function. Is there any documentation beyond the in app reference. The best it does is guide me with syntax. It doesn’t give the range of values per parameter, nor a description of what each affects. Blindly playing around only gets me so far, and slowly at that. I do have a bit of sound engineering background and recognize some of it, but docs would really do the trick.

Thanks to any who point the way!

@bitmage Usually the reference is all there is. You can do a forum search to see if anything else of interest shows up. Other than that, you’re left with just playing around which you’re doing.

@dave1707 thanks. Wasn’t sure if the sound function was a drop in from some established library. If that was the case I might be able to hunt down some kind of doc. I’ll snoop the forums some more after work and see what I can find. I bet in the end I cobble some doc for myself. Hehe

@bitmage You could do a google search and see what you can find. Sometimes there can be similarities between what you find and what’s being do in Codea.

@bitimage - if you look at the twolivesleft page on the link from the bottom of the projects page you can see a list of all the contributors and libraries involved. Tried to list the relevant parts below:

Sprite Packs
Planet Cute art by Daniel Cook (Lost Garden)
Small World art by Daniel Cook (Lost Garden)
SpaceCute art by Daniel Cook (Lost Garden)
Tyrian Remastered art by Daniel Cook (Lost Garden)
Platformer Art art by Kenney (Kenney.nl)
Space Art art by Kenney (Kenney.nl)
Music & Sound Packs
A Hero's Quest music by Mark Braga (Airblank)
Game music by Mat Vecchio (Mat Vecchio Music)
Example Projects by
James Frost
Mark Sumner
Andrew Stacey
Phillip Alvelda
Jonathan Brodsky
Jason Boettcher
Andy Newton
Libraries
Lua
Box2D
ParseKit
AFNetworking
CCTexture2D (from Cocos2D)
GLM
LuaSocket
dkjson
sfxr
libb64
UIImage-PDF
NDTrie
RHIntervalTree
ObjectAL
luaparse
UIDevice-Extension
Animation system based on tween.lua
HPGrowingTextView
CocoaHTTPServer
MBProgressHUD
GRMustache
ZipKit
Anax
Wink-Signals
libnoise
jsoncpp
Shaders based on the three.js project
stb_image.h
MTZWhatsNew
Codea Runtime Contributors
CJ Hanson

@bitmage I’ve started work on a new project to update the API documentation. I’ve added this bindings file for the sound source Lua type here: https://github.com/JohnTM/Codea-Docs/blob/main/Source/Bindings/soundsource.m

Basically when you call a sound() command you get a soundsource object in return which allows you to manipulate the playing sound with various properties and methods

@John , @Bri_G fantastic! Thanks guys great stuff. I sense coffee in my near future.