Small 3D horror game competition.

Hi all!

3D in Codea interests me greatly. I haven’t started using 3D yet, but I would love to see how far 3D in Codea can go. So I offer up a competition…

Make a small 3D horror game with no combat, in the style of Silent Hill. ( Here is an example from the new Silent Hill playable trailer which has no combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blD2TiavFJA )

As you can see from the video above, it is one simple hallway with a few rooms that keeps looping with small changes every time it loops, it’s all in the creepy atmosphere/sounds and jump scares.

I’m not sure how many people we have on the forums that work with 3D in Codea, or how much time is needed for the competition. For now, I’m giving until March 1st to submit your entry for the competition, deadline may be pushed to April 1st if more time is needed.

The winner of the competition will receive a $25 iTunes gift card.

Let’s see what you got.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MV4U-c8Akc

has some shooting, but otherwise, close enough

I think only a handful of people on the forum are working in 3D. Also, this is really, really hard to do well, so I am not tempted to put in dozens of hours, for a competition.

@Ignatz That’s awesome! Never saw that one!

@Crumble - So I would pick a different topic. Also, there is another competition going at the moment, too. I’d wait for that to finish.

If you want to learn 3D, why don’t you start? It will take time to learn, but it is way richer, more challenging, and more interesting, than 2D modelling, imho.

I have some resources that should help you, including my own ebook, but it mostly takes time and determination.

I woud actually be interested in entering this contest, if anyone else wants to join. I’ve been wanting to make an idea I had for a 3D horror game for a while now but never got around to it. Using some code from the forums (notably @spacemonkey’s LitMesh class), a ton of filters in Paint.NET, and CrazyBump, I made a little scene for the game:

1 Like

How about if I change the competition to a single room horror game, and the goal is to figure out how to get out of the room by figuring out a puzzle of some sort. Using touch to examine objects in the room, and scary events can be triggered by those touch events, or player position, or after certain periods of time, etc.

Can do all sorts of things like having to find a key, or having to light candles in a certain order to unlock something, etc.

A single room horror game would allow you to have more polished graphics.

If still too in depth let me know. I just think it would be cool to see a 3D competition, to kind of showcase what Codea can do.

Sadly I can’t participate because I haven’t started with 3D yet, but I can’t wait to start getting into 3D.

@Crumble I was inspired by Five Nights at Freddy’s, so I was already planning on just being in one room. :slight_smile:

@SkyTheCoder +1 for being a FNAF fan!