skew?

So - making a “Star Wars” text crawl (because, yes, I’m that kind of a dork)… I realized I can’t do it the easy way.

We have translate, rotate, and scale - but no skew (or distort). Skew would make all sorts of pseudo-3D stuff much easier.

If you’re in safari (even mobile safari!) - check it out http://www.gesteves.com/experiments/starwars.html (if you have a really new version of chrome, but not TOO new, it may work as well)

Either that or a matrix transformation, but those are seriously scary.

Meh - he used a “perspective” cheat.

What I really want is to transform a square into a trapezoid. I mean - I can (and will!) do it mathematically. I’d just rather have a transform take care of it for me.

We can add shearX and shearY functions that mirror processing’s. We might as well throw in applyMatrix() and overload rotate() to do axis-angle rotations.

translate() already accepts a z parameter, it’s just not documented.

The more you emulate of processing’s API, the more I can steal from their example code. RAWR!

Actually I just looked and you can call rotate as follows:

rotate( angle, x, y, z )

Where x, y, z are the axis to rotate around. I forgot I implemented this. (And it’s not documented on purpose.)

!!! Neat! I have something to mess with tomorrow then! :slight_smile:

(I had suspected that this might have been floating around in there - you’ve mentioned the graphics API is modeled after processing, so to have it missing was odd)