Shade 1.0 (8)

@dave1707 I’ve fixed that one now thanks. It turns out that Voronoi3D returns a Vector 3D. If you load up a shader that uses the old node after this is fixed it will most likely cause Shade to error out and will need to be remade.

@andymac3d that’s odd, I get a duplicate option from the menu in the browser

@Simeon - Ah, I see. in the iCloud Browser you do, not in the default Shade Recents browser you don’t (which is the one I’ve tended to use)

Another quick one I’ve knocked up - a Rain Shader.

Really just a good example of shunting UV’s around to control the 3D noise. You can scale the noise by multiplying the UVs with a vector2d in x and y, and translate it by adding a vector2d in x and y. By driving the UV translate and Z component of the noise with ‘time’ you can do all sorts of effects like rain, streaky plasma or even a water ripple effect.

All starting to make more sense the more I dive in…

@andymac3d - Shade is reminiscent of LabView for designing automation packages - data capture and control. Used that years ago in the Labs and it was very powerful. The visual UI for construction makes it easier to understand at a glance.

But, I am assuming that the examples shown so far are relatively simple. What does the UI look like when you have large complex Shades? and, is there any way to minimise sections that you have finished and are not actively working on.

Also, is their a form of dependencies as in Codea/Lua where you can incoporate code not currently in the development environment?

Can I also be a beta tester for shade? I would really like to help!

@Bri_G - I think the general node based approach is really suitable for stuff like this where you’ve got a process tree with known atomic level building blocks, but can quickly become overwhelming on large networks. Abstracting complexity down to collapsed sub-nets is then the way to go. Some good examples in CGI land are Maya’s Hypergraph, Houdini, Nuke and (probably the ‘daddy’ of Shader dev tools) Allegorithmic Substance Designer - all have some great UI workflows for dealing with complexity and connection merging/splitting - but all are based on desktop apps (using the mouse and keyboard shortcuts). I think the guys are doing a great job in simplifying this approach for a touchscreen interface and a relatively small screen.

@andymac3d - Wow quite a few examples of other packages there, you obviously know your shaders.

I think the point about big screens is important and it may be the time to test the water by compiling a package for the Mac or PC - Mac should be relatively easy using the same packages - I assume Xcode would be used.

Oh cool! Something new. Is it like shaders !?

@TokOut - could you give us a bit more detail on what is cool. Just looked at the packages referred to by @andymac3d and they look more like powerfull serious development tools for 3D modelling including shaders. Very early days here, fingers crossed neat prototype out soon.

@Bri_G Certainly Substance Designer is incredibly powerful and steered towards pros. But, that doesn’t mean necessarily its easy to use and fast to develop things - that’s why I like the idea of Shade, and there’s nothing like it for tablets currently. The others are interesting to look at to see how others treat the whole Node-graph approach. Nuke isn’t a shader dev tool, but a Compositing package and has some neat ideas e.g. by ‘shaking’ a node you can detach it from all its connections in one go. I think those sorts of things are nice UX touches to make you work faster.

@Bri_G I mean it’s cool that Codea didn’t stopped with craft. I thought like it’s the last big update. But I saw pictures in this topic… amazing. Can’t wait to try out.

Okay I’d like to be tester

Hi @Simeon I’d love to be added to the beta for Shade

Man, I wish I had time to get involved with Codea again, just too busy. Anway’s great job with your app guys keep up the good work!

@John I ran into another situation, but I can’t reproduce it because I don’t remember what I did. I was connecting nodes when I got a text error message in the print area about an error in draw. I couldn’t move, delete, or do anything else with the nodes because of the error. I would close the Shade and reopen it, but I would keep getting the error. The only thing I could do was delete the Shade and start over. But like I said, I didn’t remember what I was doing and I couldn’t see all the nodes that were on the screen, so I can’t give details. Because of the text error I couldn’t see all the nodes or correct the problem. I think text error messages should be a popup so the node error could be corrected instead of locking up the code.

@yojimbo2000 @GR00G0 I’ll add you. Thanks for joining!

@dave1707 There are still a few “crash” bugs like that. If you encounter any just send the zipped shade to me before you delete it.

Is there a way to use a shader created with shade in a craft project?

@GR00G0 that is the eventual plan, but not in the current beta