Shade 1.0 (8)

@John I tried the long press but so far I don’t like it. Maybe I’m missing something. For instance, if I press s then I get a long list. If I then press i the list shows Sign, Sin, Asin with a bent arrow on Asin. If I then press n the list shows Sin, Asin with the arrow on Asin. I can’t get to Sin. Is there a way to move the bent arrow. It would be nice once the list comes up if I can tap one of the nodes from the list to select it.

PS. Something else I just found out. If I minimize Shade and go to another app then go back to Shade, the long press to bring up the menu doesn’t work.

@Simeon I was watching a video of you and your son making a checkerboard with shade. I was trying to do it, but I couldn’t get a clear enough image to read it. Could you post a clearer picture of the screen showing everything to make the checkerboard. Some examples might help in playing with Shade since a lot of descriptions/reference aren’t done yet.

@Simeon Nevermind about the checkerboard. I looked at the checkerboard shader in Codea and used that code to create a checkerboard in Shade. Here’s a picture of how it was done.

@dave1707 nice one! We need to allow tap on the quick insert box. At the moment you can move the selection up and down with the arrow keys on a hardware Keyboard to choose which node to insert. Also the sort order is a bit arbitrary right now, we need to make it so that typing sin should match sin as the first result.

That’s really cool! I’ve been following on Twitter. I can’t wait to see it in the wild!

@Simeon @John After a Shade is saved and then reopened, the grid doesn’t retain the size it was saved as. If I have a large grid that was reduced in size to fit the screen, it would be nice if the grid was the same size when the Shade is reopened instead of having to shrink it down again.

@Simeon Once we build a Shade, what do we do with it. Or does that come later.

@dave1707 we’d like to be able to make it so you can use them directly in Codea. The other export options would be straight GLSL and Unity 3D.

@dave1707 I’ve been working on a number of improvements. New shaders how begin with the Surface node centred on the screen. Current canvas position and zoom are now saved, preview options and camera settings are also saved.

@Simeon @John Would this be possible. In the library list of nodes, show the input and output letters. That way you can see what each node is going to do. Run the code below to see what I mean for Parallax. Ignore the colors and shape, but look at the input and output letters. This might make it easier to see what a node does when just starting out until you become familiar with each node.

function setup()
    textMode(CORNER)    
end

function draw()
    background(0)
    stroke(0, 255, 211, 255)
    strokeWidth(10)
    fill(251, 251, 251, 255)
    rect(100,400,150,150)
    fill(0, 183, 255, 255)
    text("Parallax",145,410)
    text("UV",115,515)
    text("H",115,495)
    text("A",115,475)
    text("UV",210,515)
    text("A",220,495)
end

@Simeon @John Here’s an annoyance. If I slide a node from the library to try something and then delete that node from the grid, the library closes. When I reopen the library, it starts at the beginning. I then have to scroll to where I left off. It would be nice once the library is opened, if it would reopen where it was when it closed instead of the beginning.

@Simeon @John There seems to be a problem when a Shade is saved and then reloaded. In my checkerboard example above, when I save it and then reload it, the x (multiply) is change to a + (plus). So the checkerboard shows as 8 lines. See the image below, I circled the problem.

@dave1707 I’ll work on fixing the library today, thanks for the great example

@Simeon @John I was going to say that some of the errors I listed above were fixed, but I’m not sure now. I opened my checkerboard Shade and it looked like it saved everything correctly because when I reopened it, I had the checkerboard instead of lines. The multiply sign stayed instead of switching to the plus sign and the grid size stayed the correct size on the screen. But now, when I open the checkerboard Shade, it’s back to lines and the nodes are somewhere off the screen and I can’t find them. I tried scrolling the screen around, but they’re somewhere off the screen. So I’m not sure what’s happening now. I’ll probably just delete the checkerboard Shade and redo it. The tap on the quick insert box works.

@Simeon @John I deleted my checkerboard shader and recreated it. When I saved it and reopened it, everything was OK. The multiply that was changing to a plus stayed as multiply and the size of the grid remained the same. So those 2 problems appear to be fixed. But the problem of the nodes going off screen and not being able to find them was a problem. Maybe there can be something that can be tapped to center the Surface list on the screen.

@Simeon @John I just opened my checkerboard Shader and the nodes are nowhere to be seen. I think it has something to do with rotating the screen because I was rotating the screen from portrait to landscape mode while the shader was opening. I guess I’ll delete it again and recreate it. I’ll play around with that to see if that’s the real cause.

PS. I haven’t been able to force it to happen by rotating the screen. But it’s happened 2 times so far.

PS. After many tries, I still haven’t been able to get the nodes to disappear off the screen. At this point I don’t know if the nodes were off the screen, or just weren’t visible.

Thanks for the extensive testing on this issue @dave1707. There might be a bug where the graph doesn’t show up initially. If this happens again try pressing the home button then opening the app again and let me know if it reappears. We will be adding a mini-map so that you cannot lose your graph

Here’s another Shade using the Microphone. Looks OK with the TV or music going. @John If the missing nodes happen again, I’ll try those steps.

@dave1707 whistling at different pitches to that shader is pretty fun

@Simeon @John This looks kind of neat while it’s running, but you probably want to see what this caused. See the left picture first, then the right one.