Seeing the light, using SODA

I have long been ashamed of the clunky look of the buttons I made for my daughters’ app (DoubleChoose, available on the App Store!).

I have also long been trying to write my own button API, and in the process somehow decided to rewrite the whole darn app from scratch.

Mercifully, some sanity has descended.

There’s no need to rewrite the app. The app works. And @yojimbo2000 has already written the very best Codea button API I have ever seen. In fact, it’s the very best third-party Codea API that I’ve seen, period. It’s called SODA (you can find it by searching “soda” on the forums).

So thanks @yojimbo2000, for making this incredible thing.

That said, I’m having a really pretty terrible bug: when I run SODA as a dependency, the Codea controls do not appear on screen, nor are they invisible but functional. To stop a running project, I have to leave the app, terminate it, and restart it. Needless to say, this is not workable long-term.

Here is my “main” class, which is just copied directly from the template:

-- Main
saveProjectInfo( "Description", "Two-choice Adventure Games by Rosie and Charlotte." )

-- Soda

displayMode(OVERLAY)
displayMode(FULLSCREEN)
-- Use this as a template for your projects that have Soda as a dependency. 

function setup()
    saveProjectInfo("Description", "Soda v"..Soda.version) 
    profiler.init()
    Soda.setup()
    parameter.watch("Soda.focus.title")
    overview{}
    -- demo1() --do your setting up here
end

function draw()
    --do your updating here
    pushMatrix()
    Soda.camera()
    drawing()
    popMatrix()
    profiler.draw()
end

function drawing(breakPoint) 
    --in order for gaussian blur to work, do all your drawing here
    background(40, 40, 50)
    sprite("Cargo Bot:Game Area", WIDTH*0.5, HEIGHT*0.5, WIDTH, HEIGHT)
    Soda.draw(breakPoint)
end

--user inputs:

function touched(touch)
   if Soda.touched(touch) then return end
    --your touch code goes here
end

function keyboard(key)
    Soda.keyboard(key)
end

function orientationChanged(ori)
    Soda.orientationChanged(ori)
end

--measure performance:

profiler={}

function profiler.init(quiet)    
    profiler.del=0
    profiler.c=0
    profiler.fps=0
    profiler.mem=0
    if not quiet then
        parameter.watch("profiler.fps")
        parameter.watch("profiler.mem")
    end
end

function profiler.draw()
    profiler.del = profiler.del +  DeltaTime
    profiler.c = profiler.c + 1
    if profiler.c==10 then
        profiler.fps=profiler.c/profiler.del
        profiler.del=0
        profiler.c=0
        profiler.mem=collectgarbage("count", 2)
    end
end

Right now, I’ve replaced the DoubleChoose app’s own “main” tab with this, just to get started with it.

I have no idea what’s causing this problem, but having come to my senses about not reinventing the wheel, I hope I can get the awesome already-invented wheel to roll.

Just a quick suggestion. Maybe Soda is somehow disabling the displayMode(overlay) command. What happens if you put it in setup, so it runs after Soda loads?

I’m not at home so I can’t check, but wouldn’t such an issue show up on the regular demo as well as when used as a dependency? This only shows up when I’m running the demo as a dependency.

Hey @UberGoober good to see you on the forums again! Glad you’re enjoying Soda! I liked your supersimplebuttons too.

Re your issue above, that’s really weird, displayMode is only called from your main file there. Are you sure you don’t have FULLSCREEN_NO_BUTTONS somewhere else in your code? In any case, it should be possible to bring the Codea buttons back a number of different ways. The easiest way is to do a partial gesture, such as pulling one of the iOS control panels from the top or bottom of the screen then releasing it, or (if you have multitasking iOS gestures on), doing a partial 4-finger swipe then releasing it. Do you have the a reasonably recent version of Soda? Could you look at the Soda.version variable in the Soda tab? Does it say 0.7? Also, I don’t see the behaviour you described in the Soda thread, ok, cancel and X all close the demo windows for me, which makes me wonder whether you have a different version.

@yojimbo2000 thanks for the diagonistic suggestions!

• I totally had FULLSCREEN_NO_BUTTONS set, d’oh!
  • I can’t believe I didn’t think to search for that. It was in a block of stuff I thought I had all commented out.
  • Thanks for the tips on getting the buttons back.
  • I’m running Soda 0.7, and I just verified that I’m running the latest Codea as well.
  • Any thoughts on how to debug the OK button thing? It happens directly in the SODA project, it’s not an artifact of dependency.
  • Thanks for the welcome back! Life keeps me pretty busy but I usually get back to my Codea projects when I’m on a family vacation or holidy of some kind.

@yojimbo2000 after investigating the problem a little, it looks like there’s something up with coroutine. In my setup, I have about six or seven calls to coroutine, and only three of them fire. Is there something going on in SODA that might be interrupting them?

No, Soda doesn’t use coroutines. What are you using them for? Kind of unusual to be calling them within setup. The usual use case is for “concurrency” of intensive tasks (though not true concurrency, just frequent interruption) over several frames, so normally you’d resume the coroutines in the draw loop somewhere

I’m using “setup” loosely. The coroutines do indeed start at the end of the setup routine.

To tell the truth I forget why I implemented them, I think it may have been done at a point where I was loading all my images over the web, which could take a while. It may also have been just to get some configuration logic out of the draw routine, while still managing drawing stuff to the screen.

Not entirely sure, but also not sure it matters that much, because it without SODA, it’s working. So something about SODA is interrupting it. If you’re suggesting “just rip out the coroutines” as a Gordian knot style fix, I suppose that’s the nuclear option. Would much rather just fix what’s going wrong though.

Can you post some code?

Hi! Okay… I’m ashamed to admit that I figured out the main problem, and it’s that I had commented out some crucial command flow code. The code that wasn’t running wasn’t being called. Sad trumpet sound here.

So I’ve finally got my first SODA button appearing on screen. Yay!

Now I’ve got two actual buggish type things.

1. I’m trying to simulate that info circle icon that’s everywhere nowadays. Here’s my code:

(I can’t get code markup to appear correctly)

Soda.Button{
        title = "i", 
        style = {shape = {fill = color(0, 0, 0, 0), stroke = "midGrey", strokeWidth = iStrokeWidth}, text = {fontSize = iFontSize,  font = "Baskerville-BoldItalic", fill="midGrey"},
                highlight = {
            text = {fontSize = iFontSize,  font = "Baskerville-BoldItalic", fill="white"},
            shape = {fill = "midGrey"}
        }       },
        shape = Soda.ellipse,
        x = 20, y = 20, w = iCircleSize, h = iCircleSize
    }

(It’s terribly indented I know, that’s the sign of code in progress.)

This creates a bold italic “i” inside a circle. The problem is that the “i” is clipped on the right side. It looks like something’s cutting off about a fourth of the dot of the i.

2: For some odd reason I can’t use calculated variables for the x and y values. If the above code is slightly modified to:

local iOffset = HEIGHT * 0.1
    Soda.Button{
        x = iOffset, y = iOffset
    }

The button doesn’t appear at all. That exact change, with no others, makes it vanish.

What’s even odder is that it has to be a calculated variable. If instead of the above iOffset is defined like this:

local iOffset = 40
    Soda.Button{
        x = iOffset, y = iOffset
    }

…it does appear!

Could this have something to do with Lua’s recent introduction of different types of numbers? You know, how now there are ints and floats, whereas there used to be just floats, and the ints and floats can’t be used interchangeably, breaking some legacy code?

@yojimbo2000 , any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

I’m the 200ths view. Also, add code blocks above ^. They are wrong and not working

Here is a link to a screenshot of how the clipping looks:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwgyi5e6s4360d1/Clipped%20i.jpeg?dl=0

@UberGoober have you checked this isn’t an issue with Codea’s text rendering? Try just printing the italic i, not in Soda, to see if it clips. Also, try adding a space after the i to see if that helps.

It’s 3 tildes (not 4) ~~~ for a codeblock in the forum btw

Where is this code called local iOffset = HEIGHT * 0.1 ? HEIGHT behaves unpredictably if you call it outside of any code block (ie at compile time)

Switched to 3 tildes–still not showing up correctly.

It's not working here either! What up??

I’m referencing HEIGHT inside a function–does that count as “inside a code block” for this purpose?

It doesn’t matter to the bug, though–whether it references HEIGHT or not, if iOffset is set as the result of multiplying or dividing another variable in any way, it doesn’t work.

It works if set with a value directly, and no other time.

Space after the i! That worked! @yojimbo2000 , you know your anchovies!

Okay, so I’m trying to make an almost-full-screen information window, which is mainly a bunch of text, but I want the text body centered vertically in the window. It looks to me like I have to create a TextScroll with the text, as a child of a TextWindow, and programmatically place the TextScroll in the middle of the window vertically.

@yojimbo2000 do I have that right?

This is my code for the info window, it is crashing.

local window = Soda.TextWindow{
            title = "",
            close = true,
            blurred = true,
            x = 30, y = 30, w = WIDTH - 60, h = HEIGHT - 60,
        }
        Soda.TextScroll{
            parent = window,
            textBody = infoText,
            style = {shape = {}, text = {font = "GillSans-Light"}},
            x = 20, y = 20, w = WIDTH * 0.5, h = HEIGHT * 0.5
        }

On creation of these I get this error twice, I’m assuming once for each element:

Style:130: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'pairs'
	Style:130: in field 'setStyle'
	TextScroll:60: in method 'drawContent'
	FRAME:215: in method 'draw'
	FRAME:239: in method 'draw'
	Soda:51: in field 'draw'
	Main:271: in function 'drawing'
	Main:248: in function 'draw'

It works when I don’t try to specify a custom font for the TextScroll, though.

So that must be the problem, but the documentation for the ‘style’ parameter reads “coming soon”, so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

@yojimbo2000 , three questions:

1. Is TextScroll the best ui element to use to place text in a custom position inside a parent element, even if that text will never need to scroll?
  2. How do I change just the font of a TextScroll without it crashing?
  3. Darn it I forgot the third. Oh well. I’ll just make one up. What a color are your socks?