Scrolling Text Box

It seems to black out at some limit. Can anyone explain why this happens and how to fix it?
EDIT: Fixed, in a sort of lame way. It now breaks the text into chunks every newline, and displays them separately. It still won’t work for long, unbroken paragraphs.

--# ScrollText
ScrollText = class()

function ScrollText:init(text,x,y,w,h)
    -- you can accept and set parameters here
    self.x = x
    self.y = y
    self.w = w
    self.h = h
    self.text = text
    self.scroll = 0
    self.scrollSlide = 0
    self.scrolling = false
end

local function lines(str)
   local t = {}
   local function helper(line)
      table.insert(t, line)
      return ""
   end
   helper((str:gsub("(.-)\\r?\
", helper)))
   return t
end

function ScrollText:drawLines()
    local prev = ""
    local function helper(line)
        local _,th = textSize(prev)
        local _,ch = textSize(line)
        text(line,self.x,self.y+self.h-th-ch)
        prev = prev..line.."\
"
        return ""
    end
    helper((self.text:gsub("(.-)\\r?\
", helper)))
end

function ScrollText:draw()
    -- Codea does not automatically call this method
    pushStyle()
    clip(self.x,self.y,self.w,self.h)
    pushMatrix()
    translate(0,-self.scroll)
    textWrapWidth(self.w)
    textMode(CORNER)
    self:drawLines()
    popMatrix()
    clip()
    local _,th = textSize(self.text)
    popStyle()

self.scroll = self.scroll - self.scrollSlide
    self.scrollSlide = self.scrollSlide * 0.95 
    min = self.h-th
    max = 0
    if th < self.h then
        min = 0
    end

if not self.scrolling then
        if self.scroll < min then
            self.scroll = self.scroll + ( min - self.scroll ) / 10
        elseif self.scroll > max then
            self.scroll = self.scroll + ( max - self.scroll ) / 10
        end
    else
        if self.scroll < min then
            self.scrollSlide = self.scrollSlide / (100*(min - self.scroll))
        elseif self.scroll > max then
            self.scrollSlide = self.scrollSlide / (100*(max - self.scroll))
        end
    end
end

local function inBounds(px,py,x,y,w,h)
    return px > x and py > y and px < x + w and py < y + h
end

function ScrollText:touched(touch)
    if inBounds(touch.x,touch.y,self.x,self.y,self.w,self.h) then
        self.scrollSlide = (self.scrollSlide + touch.deltaY)/2
        if touch.state == MOVING then self.scrolling = true else self.scrolling = false end
    end
end
--# Main
-- Scrolling Text

-- Use this function to perform your initial setup
function setup()
    print("Hello Text!")
    tc = [[Codea for iPad lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer. We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. 

Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color? Just tap and drag it. How about an image or a sound? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.

Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.

Lua is a powerful, efficient, lightweight, embeddable scripting language. It supports procedural programming, object-oriented programming, functional programming, data-driven programming, and data description.

Lua combines simple procedural syntax with powerful data description constructs based on associative arrays and extensible semantics. Lua is dynamically typed, runs by interpreting bytecode with a register-based virtual machine, and has automatic memory management with incremental garbage collection, making it ideal for configuration, scripting, and rapid prototyping.

Lua has been used in many industrial applications (e.g., Adobe's Photoshop Lightroom), with an emphasis on embedded systems (e.g., the Ginga middleware for digital TV in Brazil) and games (e.g., World of Warcraft and Angry Birds). Lua is currently the leading scripting language in games. Lua has a solid reference manual and there are several books about it. Several versions of Lua have been released and used in real applications since its creation in 1993. Lua featured in HOPL III, the Third ACM SIGPLAN History of Programming Languages Conference, in 2007. Lua won the Front Line Award 2011 from the Game Developers Magazine.]]
    ts = ScrollText(tc,WIDTH/8,HEIGHT/8,WIDTH*3/4,HEIGHT*3/4)
    parameter.integer("TextLength",1,#tc,1221,function(v)
        ts.text = tc:sub(1,v)
    end)
end

-- This function gets called once every frame
function draw()
    -- This sets a dark background color 
    background(40, 40, 50)

-- This sets the line thickness
    strokeWidth(5)
    fill(255)
    -- Do your drawing here
    fontSize(30)
    ts:draw()
end

function touched(touch)
    ts:touched(touch)
end

The text function only works for a certain width and height. If you exceed that, it doesn’t display anything. I posted an explanation and example somewhere in the forum a long time ago. I’m not sure what to search for to find it.

@em2 I couldn’t find my original post on this, so here’s a small example showing what happens. Slide the parameter to increase the number of characters shown. At the top of the screen is the pixel width of the string. On my iPad Air, the text disappears once the pixel width exceeds 1024 pixels. 1024 is the max pixels of my screen width or height. The same thing happens with height. If the total pixel height of the text exceeds 1024, it will disappear.

function setup()
    parameter.integer("len",1,150,1)
    textMode(CORNER)
    str=""
    for z=1,400 do
        str=str.."w"
    end
end

function draw()
    background(40, 40, 50)
    s=string.sub(str,1,len)
    fill(255)
    text(s,0,300)
    w=textSize(s)
    text("text width  "..w.."  pixels.",100,HEIGHT-50)
end

Hmm… that would mean I would have to implement my own line breaking mechanism. I wonder why it does that.

It almost certainly does it because behind the scenes it would need to be building a single texture to render the text into before it can draw it. 1024x1024 was, at one time in the not-too-distant-past, the largest supported texture size on a whole lot of iOS devices.