Save file directly on dropbox

Do you think it was possible with io or something like this ?

Yes it is. Here is a project that does just that. http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/1899/dropbox-integration-written-in-codea/p1

@HyroVitalyProtago Here is a small example of writing and reading using “io” functions. Just remember that there isn’t a directory function, so if you write outside of Dropbox, you can’t see the file names. You’ll have to sync Dropbox to see the file.

function setup()
    local file = os.getenv("HOME").."/Documents/Dropbox.spritepack/myFile1.txt"
    txt="abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\
"

if file ~=nil then
        writeData(file)    
        readData(file)
    end
end

function writeData(file)
    print("----- start write -----")
    wFd = io.open(file,"w")
    wFd:write(txt)    -- write some letters from txt
    for z= 1,20 do
        wFd:write(z.." ")    -- write some numbers
    end
    wFd:close()
    print("----- stop write -----\
")
end

function readData(file)
    print("----- start read -----")
    rFd = io.open(file,"r")
    while 1 do
        data=rFd:read()
        if data==nil then
            rFd:close()
            break
        end
        print(data)
    end
    print("----- stop read -----\
")
end

thanks a lot !

Sorry for this basic question.

The above code runs fine on my machine. I can even write and read different files (written with different data) and get the respective data.

However, where are the files. The comment says “You’ll have to sync Dropbox to see the file.” How do you do this. I have looked into the files on my Dropbox account from the Dropbox app, Goodreader, and my PC (which, of course, is synced to my Dropbox account.)

TIA

@CriticalitySafety
You have two choice :

• First, At the home of codea, on the left menu (with shader lab, codea air, …), open sprite, open dropbox directory and you have the sync button.

• Second, open sprite directly in your app with a click on the command readImage() or sprite() and do the same that in first. (open dropbox directory and you have the sync button)

Fantastic! Thanks @HyroVitalyProtago.

I don’t think I would ever have thought to look in the “sprite” tab.

I think that being able to read/write files to one’s Dropbox account is a major benefit. Not only can it be used with more mundane text file applications, I think that it will be a great benefit for debugging by allowing the saving of data and then viewing.

Thanks again.

Bob