Random Color

I’ve been using math.random to create a random background for my game every time it runs. However, sometime the random colors turn out really ugly. How would I create a pool of colors (that i create) to choose from when starting the game and math.random would choose from that pool. Any help guys?

Create a table of colors in your setup() function like so:

colors = {color(255, 0, 0, 255), color(0, 255, 0, 255), etc.}

I won’t give the rest away, but you should be able to find a way to access a random item from this table using math.random()…

Tables are your friend, friend.

edit
@Otterified - you beat me to it, with a better explanation, too!

how would I use math.random to choose from the pool. I tried figuring it out by putting math.random(2) because there are two colors. However, it doesnt work and leaves me with a black background. In my draw function I put background(randomColour) and in my function set up
I put randomColour = math.random(2). What am I doing wrong? Please reply, @jlslate or @Otterified

After you create your table of colors, use math.random(size of table) to get your color. Do the same for the next color. You can use an if statement so you don’t get the same color twice in a row.

function setup()
    colors = {color(0, 21, 255, 255),color(255, 0, 201, 255),color(110, 255, 0, 255)}
    bgcolor = colors[math.random(#colors)]
end

function draw()
   background(bgcolor)
end