Possible?

Hi guys, I just wanted to know the stages for releasing an application to be sold on the App Store for 99 cents. Firstly, does Codea support this? Can I sell it for no fees? Is a Apple Mac or something required? I’m making a cookie clicker game and my parents suggest I try making money off it. I’m trying to look into my options! Thanks guys. :wink:

You need a Mac running Xcode and a paid Apple developer subscription ($99 per year). It’s fairly unlikely you’ll make money from it. You will learn a lot about releasing stuff to the store though

Although judging from this thread it seems there are currently issues with Xcode export, I’ve not tried exporting for a few months

https://codea.io/talk/discussion/7973/xcode-export-problem#latest

Xcode changes every year, App Store requirements change quite often too. Hopefully a fix is in the works.

We’ll have the Xcode export working more smoothly in the next update. You’ll probably be able to get the current export working but may need to manually fix some stuff (App Transport Security, and other new requirements).

Yeah, nevermind wanting to publish it for money. But can some one link me to a site regarding uploading Codea applications to the App Store for free? I’d like a step by step guide if possible! Thanks guys.

I do not want to spam, but I wanna say this problem is not solved. I appreciate all replies though!

I do not want to spam, but I wanna say this problem is not solved.

~

We’ll have the Xcode export working more smoothly in the next update.

I don’t even know how to upload things to the Apple Store. I wanted some sort of tutorial or video.

@Coder1500 Apple isn’t going to let you do anything for free. If I’m not mistaken, they even take a percentage of anything you sell on the App Store.

You can’t even release free apps on the App Store for no cost? Like I said, could I please be linked to a useful video or some article explaining how to import codea programs to the App Store? That would help a lot. Thanks for the reply.

It doesn’t matter whether the app you’re releasing is free or not, you still need a Mac, Xcode, and a $99/ year Apple dev account.

Like I said, could I please be linked to a useful video or some article explaining how to import codea programs to the App Store?

Search the forum. Top right corner. “App Store export” “App Store upload” etc @Reefwing made some tutorials on this a couple of years ago, but as this is a process that is always changing, because App Store requirements change, so tutorials will be out of date. The forum has the most up-to-date info.

That stinks. Thank you jimbo.

@Coder1500 If Apple was to allow anyone to put code on the App Store, then it would be filled with nothing but a bunch of junk code that didn’t work. Apple figures if you’re going to spend $99 for a dev account, you’re going to know what you’re doing and create good code. Maybe you can practice here. Write some code that you think is good enough to be on the App Store and post it here. We’ll give it a review and then you can get a Mac, a $99 dev account, figure out all the problems with Xcode, submit your program to Apple where they’ll rip it apart and tell you to rewrite it. After you do all that, if Apple thinks it’s good enough, it will be on the App Store for free. Then if you want to write a program for people to buy, it’s going to have to be better than anything that’s already there and will probably take someone with your experience several years to do. You’ve been a member of this forum for a year already and you’re having trouble writing simple code. You’re a long way from submitting anything to the App Store.

Dave, you’re a moderator, and you’re really not being nice, at all.

@Coder1500 I’m not here to be nice, I’m here to help you when you run into problems. I’m a user just like you, but with more experience. Did you want me to tell you to spend $1,000 on a Mac, $99 for a dev account, spend a whole lot of time writing a program, submit it to the App Store and say it will be accepted. If you can write a program with thousands of lines of code without it having any errors and follow Apples strict submission rules, then maybe you’ll have a chance. But like I said, write something and post it here and we’ll review it. The only rule we have is that you put 3~'s before and after your code so it formats right.

Thanks