Out of curiosity, how hard would it be to make a Temple Run game?

I was just wondering how tough it would be to make this? I don’t think I’m actually going to, but it’s good to get a feel for how hard specific tasks are and how easy others are.

3D is VERY hard to do in Codea, only a handful of people on the forums can do it,

Other than that, the only hard part would be the animation IMO

If you have no 3D experience, it might take you 3-6 months of very hard work, I think

Alrighty then, good to know, what about a 2D version?

Like, a birds eye view point of a head running from monkeys?

Wouldnt be two hard, just the animation would take forever

You can find 2D spritesheet animations easily enough, they are mostly sideon

Just try it, worst thing that could happen is youd lose a few evenings of your life, best is you could have a decent app. Just try things.

+1

I regularly get in over my head, and spend weeks and sometimes months figuring things out. But that’s a good way to learn.

I made a top down 2D temple run type game (without the coins) in about 3 hours, start to finish.

Show!

Waiting for apple to approve it. :wink:

I’ve only been using Codea for a few months. My impressions of working with 3d so far, is that what would really take time is a fully realised 3d world, that the player can roam around in freely. Temple Run however, is very limited in terms of its perspective and player movement. The 3d is almost an effect rather than anything else (you could make an argument that the game really only takes place in one plane, in terms of collision detection etc). It would definitely take work, but it would be a fun project.

I’ve been working on a 2.5D game, ie using 3D as eye candy basically, for action taking place in one plane. It is taking more time than it would do if it were just 2D, but it looks great. @Ignatz 's tutorials on 3D at the coolcodea blog are incredibly helpful.

Yojimbo2000 +1 : 2.5 is a good way to learn 3D