Notifications Window

Hi All,

Just found this by accident and didn’t know you could access it in Codea. I ran a simple program to print out a table contents. Whilst playing around with it I tapped just below the camera lens and dragged my finger down - this produced a handle just below the lens. On dragging this down a window appears with ‘No new notifications’ in it. I have seen this used in other programs but didn’t know it was a standard feature.

My question is - can we access this from Codea?

Have you any plans to use it?

I think this would be great for accessing application details like app name, version number, author, iOS version developed on etc. etc.

Bri_G

:slight_smile:

@Bri_G, that’s an iOS 5 feature allowing you access to push notifications. You should be able to reach it from more or less any app.

Right now, I don’t believe there is a way to send a push notification from a Codea project, though it would be interesting. It would require going through the interface that get’s user permissions to push.

Hi Mark,

Thanks Mark, I’ve seen it used in a couple of applications and when I saw it was present in the window used by the code I’d written I assumed it was accessible.

Maybe something for the developers to think about, but low priority - unless they have something they could use it for.

Bingo, grey matter finally kicked in. Why not use it for the window controls that we see in the bottom corner - stop, camera, video, pause etc.

Also it could be used for debugging features like breakpoints with step and step function etc.

Shame to miss out if it’s feasible to use it.

Thanks again.

Bri_G

@Bri_G it can only be used for push notifications — new emails, iMessages, and stuff like that. Each notification can open an app. It can’t hold arbitrary controls.

Hi Simeon,

Thanks for the clarification, not familiar with Apple iOS so push notifications don’t mean much to me.

But, from your note it would appear that we could use it to send (email or message) a file or details with errors. Or, we could set up a logging application which we could run from the notification window to provide system/application info offline from the app itself so that we can trace errors.

Possible?

Thanks,

Bri_G

Hi All,

Just noticed this in action. I was using the simple maths program from Tao, and selecting the level when the notification handle dropped down. It contained a calendar entry and an alert for the game SWYS for a new download. I didn’t realise the global nature of this utility.

But, can we use the system (iOS) to construct a local version of this for Codea use. This could be dropped down when an error occurs so that you could present the error details with any support information?

Bri_G

#-O

@Bri_G unfortunately not. The notifications bar is only for background apps that need to inform you of something: push notifications, alarms, reminders, calendar events, messages, and so on.

Hi Simeon,

Thanks for the update. I’ll archive this under NO-CHANCE!!!

Bri_G

@Simeon How abt using notifications to tell you when someone comments on one of your discussions? I think this would be very useful and could also use notification center.

Hi @Tao, I use the forum settings to email me when a comment on my thread or reference is made, it’s really handy.