Monthly Game Competition - What do you think?

@notch did a game for that competion called “minicraft”, tweeted about it - and about 40,000 people flipped out. :slight_smile:

I have half a mind to do a dual-stick space shooter - between the built-in graphics (there new spritepack is perfect for it) and the dual-stick controller library, 80% of the work is already done! I’m wondering just how close to “professional” we can get the feel. (I’ve been playing a lot of “Asteroids Gunner” and “Space Miner”, both awesome in their own way)

hey - what would the rules be for using pre-existing libraries someone else made (like fonts, or the controller libraries, or spritely?) I say “go for it”, but want to be sure it’s kosher.

I’d expect it’s open to anything that can be done using Codea alone (including Spritely).

My personal keyword for last week was “cute” which is always a challenge. This is where Strobey came from. I was thinking dragonfly horrorshow but went pixie/cute instead.

Go minecraft! (sorry couldn’t resist) you know what would be a cool feature within codea? You make an account then have something like the app store, but only for codea code. You would just touch something like “submit to codea code center” or something. Let’s hear the ideas on this. (yes I know this is the wrong section for this, but I think it would help with a game competition)

I actually think project export/import is close to perfect as it is (I’d like a more manipulable archive format, but that’s nit-picking). Pity we can’t keep it, or hopefully Pity we have to give it up for a while until Apple comes to their senses.

@Ldsguy1 - I’m thinking about setting up a website kind of like that but it also allows Codea coders to make a program in a group with help from each other. Like it? Get about 5 - 10 people to PM (personal message) me and I might make it.

By might, I mean most likely will. It might be a little sloppy at first.

OH! Idea:
Every time you come out with a new sprite pack, have a contet based on it! I like it. (I gotta love those sprite packs)

For the non-competitive group work I’d recommend Fred’s ABCplayer. I hve writer’s block on what should be done next.

On the competition side one made around a theme song(s) may be good. 8-bit rasta?

Ldsguy1, would defintely be good to setup a codea library listing all the user made programs so a new user has a long list of stuff to play with. Need to think about the mechanics of maintaining it without too much work, and i might just do it. Probably best to wait for the sharing situation to be resolved first too.

I created a competition while we wait here.

I would participate!

@BrentStrandy - Try mine I posted right above your comment while we wait for the actual competition.

Thanks for the idea, but I think I’m going to try to make checkers as my first major project in lua.

@Ldsguy - Sounds cool. You could make a variation of checkers like have spaceships, or space stuff. Or just skin your app to look like space. I’d accept it.

My 2nd competition is out!

I like this, when is the first one? this month?
My last game:
http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/608/magic-puzzle-bubble

@juaxix - Are you talking to me?

should i?

@juaxix - If you want to enter a Codea code competition, yes. Mabey you could skin to app to mining to enter my competition.

At this time there is offical competion but Zoyt runs one of his own that many participate in. Either way it’s all for fun. It gives us a deadline for those halfdone projects many of us have.