Meta-related question about Codea Talk

Hi there :slight_smile: You can probably tell I’m quite new here. I was just wondering if I come across anything such as something that I think might be a spam post, who should I alert or what should I do? I can’t seem to find the option to flag posts to alert moderators, though I have seen some mods around. Can I just notify them? I think I saw a post recently that doesn’t seem to fit with everything else here; it was promoting another site and wasn’t related to anything here.

I know well that posting about it doesn’t help (from The Universal Rules of Civilised Discourse):

If You See a Problem, Flag It

Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

But I don’t know of how to privately notify mods of problems. If you prefer PMs, I could go with that — I haven’t tried those yet — but I don’t know who to notify. If it’s possible to notify more than one person or a group of people, then that’s great — I just need to know who.

Hi @yojimbo2000 I see that you are a moderator :blush: do I notify you or the other mods if I see something that I think doesn’t fit here? I am referring to this post. Thank you. Sorry, I’m not quite sure how things work here.

Yeah, spam-removal is done manually I’m afraid. I think we have mods covering all the time zones, but sometimes something slips through. I’d say only pm a mod if the post is offensive/ NSFW/ inappropriate. Thanks, and welcome to Codea Talk!

We always seem to get lots of new users around this time of year. Don’t know if it’s people getting new iPads for Christmas, or just that they have the time over the holidays to do some coding.

Be sure to use the forum search facility in the top-right corner, there’s a wealth of content on here.

The reference (in the menu bar) is the same as the in-app one, and is required reading.

The wiki (also in the menu bar) could use some TLC, but gathers lots of the most important links.

Make sure you visit @Ignatz 's blog https://coolcodea.wordpress.com . I think it’s one of the best resources for learning Codea, or coding more generally.

@t1_ You really don’t need to do anything about spam posts unless it’s been more than a day. Sending a PM to me won’t do any good because I’ll probably see and delete any spam before I read your PM. I normally look at new posts around 8AM EST and delete any spam and answer simple questions. Through out the day I’ll check the forum every now and then and answer questions and post examples if needed. From about 6PM to 11PM I’ll be on the forum more often as I watch TV. W

Hi @yojimbo2000 that’s okay, I think since there are mods covering everything, things seem fine here with manual handling for any inappropriate posts. Thank you for the welcome :blush:

That’s interesting you get more users around this time of year, I got more into Codea after seeing some friends make things (and I suppose I do have some more spare time around now). I know Computer Science Education Week and Hour of Code is also near the start of this month and I’ve seen more people try out coding from that every year (but probably it doesn’t factor in so much here for Codea).

And yep I have been relying on searching things up around the reference and web :slight_smile: I was shown Ignatz’s blog and I believe I’ve checked out yours too; I have seen there is a lot of helpful stuff around, which is awesome. (I admit, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by everything sometimes so I’m just going with “just in time” learning for now at least :tongue:)

And hi @dave1707 thank you, I’ll leave it so I’ll notify the mods if I see it’s been more than a day, or the post requires some more urgent attention.