Menu

I’m making a hunting game where you can go duck hunting, bear hunting and deer hunting. I haven’t had much practice with menu screens. What would be a good way to make a menu screen to do this so you can click on one of the options to play that part of the game?

@Andrewsimpson4 Do a forum search for menus. I made several examples already in the forum.

@Andrewsimpson4 See this link for starters. The are several others if this doesn’t help.

http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussion/3299/menu-screen#Item_3

It helps but where do I put the draw code for each of the game and where do I put the setup for each game? @dave1707

@Andrewsimpson4 You would have a setup() and draw() for each game. Here’s a simple example. You would set game1, game2, or game3 to true using the menu. It can also be done using state code or a table.

function setup()
    if game1 then
        setup1()
    end
    if game2 then
        setup2()
    end
    if game3 then
        setup3()
    end
end

function setup1()
end

function setup2()
end

function setup3()
end

function draw()
    background(40, 40, 50)   
    if game1 then
        draw1()
    end
    if game2 then
        draw2()
    end
    if game3 then
        draw3()
    end
end

function draw1()
    background(40, 40, 50)   
end

function draw2()
    background(40, 40, 50)   
end

function draw3()
    background(40, 40, 50)   
end

And same with function touch right? @dave1707

@Andrewsimpson4 Yes. You need to seperate the code for each game. That might mean seperate draw(), touch(), setup(), etc. Depending on the amount of code, you either need to seperate the functions or just different game sections in each of the functions. That will depend on the complexity of each game. I can’t tell you the best way because that will depend on how you code.

Ok. Every time I do this it comes up with errors saying saying it can’t call stuff from the function setup @dave1707

@Andrewsimpson4 Without seeing your code, I can’t help. If your code isn’t too big or you don’t mind posting it, that will help me see what’s wrong. Or if you just want to send me a copy of your code, just tap on my name. In the upper left of the page will be a line of text that says, “send dave1707 a message”. Tap on that and it will open a message box to send me stuff.

or, I have a game called “Tilt Island” that utilizes a simpler menu style, if you want to try that out.