LoveCodify - Wrapper Library to run Codify scripts on MacOSX, Linux, Windows

with regard to the SpaceCute assets, I just unzipped the entire spritepack.zip into the root of my game folder. This should create 3 folders for Planet Cute, Small World, and SpaceCute. Of course you only need to keep the sprites you area actually using, but while messing around, I kept them all in my project folder.

I did this so I didn’t have to change any of my code between what I can in Codify and using loveCodify.

Hopefully something will come up with a patch that will translate the coordinate system between Love2d and Codify. Really looking forward to seeing more of this project, awesome job.

@alexr I’m seeing the same issues with the latest version.

Sadly Love2D does not support relative paths (because of security issues). So you have to copy all gfx into the your project folder.

I would like to keep all graphic assets on one place in only one folder.

If someone has an idea how to solve this problem, please share it.

ps: Screenresolution is now fixed to Codify’s 748x748

Fork Love2D, and mount spritepack dir on PHYSFS. :slight_smile: Look at boot.lua

Oh yes thats possible. But i don’t want a special solution just for me. People should be able to just download and run the Love runtime with LoveCodify.

Observation: loveCodify rocks. I have my stuff on github, and I can test on my desktop, then publish, then load it into Codea and it just works. This is 99% of what I’d want/need from an OS X version of Codea - except it works on ubuntu too!

Weird Quirk: I have some stuff that use math.sin(frame) to do periodic movement; when I try it on the ipad, I get a slow spinner - but when I try it on loveCodify, it’s nearly a blur. I’d normally think it’s degrees vs. radians - except when I print results, it’s not. I’d also think that maybe it’s just that the OS X box is insanely faster (and - it is!) - except it’s based on a “frame” variable I increment at every draw, and that’s not going up insanely faster. Is a puzzlement. Maybe I’ll try to take a video of it to show the difference.

Two Suggestions:

First - It would be nice if code could work unchanged between Codea and loveCodify. Presumably this could be as easy as making dofile() be an existing but no-operation subroutine in Codify, so the lines are silently ignored if they’re there. At least until dofile() support is added (and it appears unlikely to ever be?) that would be cool.

Second, it would be nice to be able to set a global “LOVEHUD” or such - true, and the HUD shows, and false and it’s suppressed. The hud stuff is useful for debugging and such, but if my app doesn’t use watch/parameter/gravity - it would be nice if that all went away. I guess I could clone the repo and add this and submit a patch, eh? Figuring out how to do so would probably be a good exercise to go thru…

Sent a PULL request for the boolean - it wasn’t as difficult as I thought it might be. :slight_smile:

Merged :slight_smile:

You can probably run the code unchanged on both platforms like this:

--
if dofile ~= nil then
    dofile( "..." )
end

I use the word “awesome” too much; it no longer means as much when I see awesome.

Yes, Simeon - that works. And now I can have code that is identical and works in both loveCodify and Codea - and life is good.

Just thought I’d record the myriad of libraries that I had to install to compile love2d on Linux (strangely, not everyone uses Ubuntu). Presumably there were more that I already had installed, but these were the extras. There’s no list of dependencies at the love2d website, by the way.

libopenal-dev
liblua5.1-0-dev 
libdevil-dev
liphysfs-dev
libphysfs-dev
libmodplug-dev
libmpg123-dev
libvorbis-dev

(Ah, good. You use MarkdownExtra. Seems fairly standard on Vanilla forums but you never know until you try.)

You should post this on the love forum too.

Came across this today, it might be useful to get the sound objects working in the wrapper: http://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2734&p=30431&hilit=lfxr#p28641

it is a port of sfxr to pure love2d.

Thanks, but as you can see in the last post of the thread, i already know this :). Until now i didn’t find the time to integrate it.

Stay tuned!

Thank you so much for that wrapper, I finally could start coding on my mac to use later on on the ipad.

But has any of you a good Tip which IDE to use with lua and love?
The feature I mostly want is code completion, is there a good IDE or text programm out there which I can use, which incorporates my own classes and function and creates the autocompletes?

Thank you for any advice

Oh, I see you have used my code, it would be nice to edit the conf files to set the titles and authors propertly :slight_smile:
Thank you for your work!

The credits are already in the main.lua Gems file.

If you want to add it also in the conf.lua just do it. I’m to lazy change all samples, sorry. Fork it and send me a pull request.

This is no repository for Codify/Codea Samples. I only need this Samples further develop LoveCodify.

Ok, thanks!

Excellent project. Thanks!

I just like to mention this news. This is an Love2D-API Port to Android. Still only alpha! So don’t expect too much yet!

So with LoveCodify your scripts/games should run on Android too ;-).

https://twitter.com/#!/schattenkindnet/status/135839926729191425