Live Code Editor

@marcelliino The problem is I don’t have Codea in the normal list or the MORE list when I do SHARE with the zip file. And I haven’t found a way to force Codea in the list. I tried on my other iPad that’s on iOS 12 and I no longer have Open in Codea on that one either. I went to a discussion that had a zip file that I shared with Codea previous and Codea is missing there too. It’s like once I updated to iOS 13 on the new iPad, the old one on iOS 12 is doing the same thing.

If I export a Codea project as a zip file and save it in Dropbox and select the zip file in Dropbox with export, it give me Codea as an option. So if I create a zip file, Codea shows as an option, but if I try someone else’s zip file, Codea doesn’t show. I had no problems before I updated to iOS 13.

@dave1707 - did you try someone else’s zip file before and after loading Codea? It could be if Codea is registered as present that it is added to the options.

@Bri_G Here’s a zip file that I tried to test with. If I put this file into a Codea folder in the Files app and long press on it, then Open in Codea shows in the share list. If I long press on the file from here, Codea doesn’t show in the share list. But it used to work from everywhere before I loaded iPadOS 13. If you long press on this file do you get the Open in Codea to show. So as far as I know, iPadOS 13 messed something up for me.

@dave1707 - shared the file to Dropbox:Codea folder and Dropbox root and the iCloud downloads folder. All worked apart from the Dropbox root folder. Gave a sound project which incorporated the sound trace with the Codea icon on screen capture. Used the … menu feature of sharing to load. Looks like it will work with all things Apple including application created paths like Dropbox:Apps/Codea. i.e. ones that have a local path folder in their documents folder.

@dave1707 - did notice that there seemed to be a naming issue with Dropbox or Dropbox refused to copy files. Also, used the suggestion by @marcelliino above and added Codea to my pre…more top menu - try that.

@Bri_G Here’s what I figured out.

If I long press on the 00a1.zip file above and select Share, Codea doesn’t show in the sliding list or in the More list. So I can’t do anything with Codea using the long press.

If I tap the file 00a1.zip, I get the message Do you want to Download filename. I tap Download. I go into the Files app and look in the folder Downloads. I long press the file there and select Share. Open in Codea shows as the 2nd option. I tap on Open in Codea and Codea opens where I can import the file into Codea with no problems.

Before I downloaded iPadOS 13, I used to be able to long press the zip file, select Share, select Open in Codea, and Codea would load with the import window. So Apple screwed up the simple download for me and now I have to go thru a lot more steps to load a zip file from the forum.

So far I haven’t found a way to get Open in Codea to show using the long press on the zip file like I used to.

@dave1707 - can you add Codea to the …more by using the suggestions section at the bottom?

Edit: we’ve kinda monopolised this thread, as a mod can you set up a more meaningful thread and transfer this issue to it - Something like iPadOS issues.

@Bri_G I was thinking the same thing about us taking over this discussion, but I’m also wondering how many others are running into the same problem I am after the iOS update. Creating a zip file was an easy way to load large Codea projects for others to download. I can’t move everything in this discussion, but it might be easier for @marcelliino to start another discussion for his editor if he has another update. I can then rename this discussion for iPadOS 13 issues using Codea.

I can’t find any way to add Codea to the list of apps. I also can’t find any info about how an app is selected to appear in the list. There are some apps in the list that have nothing to do with the file being used. If I long press the 00a1.zip file, why would I want to send it to Messages, or Messenger, or Reminders, or Facebook. Then if I select More, why is Notes and Twitter in the list. Those are some of the apps that show for me, but not Codea. I tried deleting some of the apps in the list thinking Codea might show up, but the list was just shorter and no Codea.

@dave1707 - you have no doubt seen which mentions the Share Sheet API - which I am sure the Codea team have included. Made me think - on your Codea settings in System what have you indicated as your storage location - mine is ‘On my iPad’ - is yours Dropbox?

@Bri_G My Codea storage is On my iPad. If I long press on my test zip file above (00a1.zip) and select Share, I get Air Drop, Mail, Dropbox, Messages, Reminders, Notes, Messenger, Facebook, and More. If I select More, I show everything I just listed plus Twitter. I’ve looked at everything I can find on the Share sheet, but I haven’t found any way to add an app that isn’t listed. In other words, Apple selects what they think you want but won’t let you add what you actually want. What do you get if you long press on 00a1.zip and select Share. I even turned everything off I could with the sliders when I selected More, but that didn’t change anything.

@dave1707 - interesting, just tried the long press/share and my share menu has completely changed. Codea is no longer on it. Only thing zi can think may have influenced it is I used my other iPad earlier today and the share menu is very small on that as I have only loaded a few apps. Do you use different iPads? It may be down to your account settings, one iPad settings may change if you use the same account on each iPad.

@Bri_G I do have several iPads on the same account, and they get used regularly. Not sure what can be changed to get Codea back in the list. If you figure something out, let me know. I’m still trying to find anything that might help.

UPDATE