IslandCamper - Design Your Island (Working Title)

@John Wow that sounds really promising. It will broaden your market and hopefully provide existing users with a massive userbase - more ideas and approaches to projects. Can’t wait for the release.

really great news for Codea 4, does PC support potentiality mean console support as well?

@Bri_G thanks!

@skar We only have an xbox one dev kit, and no switch device so it’s hard to verify stuff working on console at this stage

@skar if you are talking about a window outside the project window, on a PC or Mac, it must be feasible as there are functions like that added to Love2D by users. - to monitor variables etc live in the project. Or do you mean something like a command line to change values of variables live?

@Bri_G Thanks!! I’ll try to add support for shaders to your version of LoveCodea.

@John I’m really looking forward to this!

@Bri_G no i’m talking xbox/playstation/nintendo :smiley:

@Elias i was playing around with zooming the camera and noticed that images will be sharp compressed when small, and i saw that you use some zooming solution in your game, when you zoom out really far do you get sharp edges?

@skar Hm, I’m currently adding zooming in/out to my game’s camera. I’ll take a look at it then. Right now, I can’t reproduce that. Sorry!

@Elias ok if you get smoothing let me know how you are handling your zoom?

i’m just using

aspect = WIDTH/HEIGHT 
ortho(0-zoom *aspect, WIDTH+zoom *aspect, 0-zoom, HEIGHT+zoom)

@skar I’m using scale(x, y). I honestly didn’t know about ortho. I’ll look into that, though. I’ll definitely let you know

ok thanks for letting me know, i played around with scale () and it’s the same results so i’ll stick to ortho() since it’s also accounting for the translation needed after scaling

I’ve been working on improving the visuals. There’s still a lot of work left to do, but I think it looks much better than in the last video I’ve posted here. I would appreciate any feedback!

https://youtu.be/SbiAMgv6Ufw

@Elias Visuals look so much better now! There’s a far greater sense of depth than there was before.

I love how alive the world looks too.

it’s looking really great, one thing is there’s this whisppy animation sometimes that looks like lightning a bit, i would try to make it less “ lightningny” lol
also i think once you start adding seasons it will really shine, right now there’s a bit of sameness to all the trees

@Steppers Thanks, that’s great to hear!! There are still a few issues as distinguishing the trees from the grass is too difficult.

@skar I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Could you give me a timestamp? There shouldn’t be a lightning in the game

right around the 8-9 seconds mark towards the top

Oh, that’s a work-in-progress wind animation. I’ve tried to replace it with a different one but I ultimately ended scrapping it. It’s on my to-do list :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/x2nmHzrLazw

I’ve made a very short video about some of the new stuff I’ve been working on. All of that is still in development, so e.g. the animation for throwing out the fishing line is still incomplete (and the line itself is waaaaay too elastic). But generally, I believe the game is beginning to look better. (Also, the version in the video has some issues with upscaling which are quite noticeable in my opinion. Those should be fixed in a newer current version).

Edit: Not sure if there is a way to have a preview of the video showing in the forum itself. If anyone knows if/how that is possible, please let me know!

1 Like
6 Likes

Wow, it’s looking amazing!