IslandCamper - Design Your Island (Working Title)

@JakAttak Thanks a lot, that’s really nice of you! :slight_smile: Yeah, Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing and so on are some of my favourite games and I’m trying to put my own spin on them. Hopefully, I can someday actually publish it to the AppStore.

@UberGoober I’ve started the project around a year and a half ago, actually a bit earlier than that I think. But I’m not working on it every day. It really depends on how much time I have.

@Elias wow, it’s super impressive.

awesome game, there’s a lot that i wonder how you coded it and how it works
i also wonder what kind of limitations you’ve run into, and any compromises you’ve had to make on visual or game designs

@UberGoober Thanks!!
@skar Thank you! Actually, I haven’t really run into any major limitations. The biggest issue was scaling the game properly to fit the different iPhone/iPad models as their display ratios vary. This took me quite a while to get right and I still need to make some improvements from time to time.

@Elias I’m selfishly wondering how modularly you’ve coded it—in other words if you’ve developed any awesome tools you’d want to share :wink:

@UberGoober Honestly, I haven’t developed any tools for it, I’m sorry :#
The world is randomly generated, so I didn’t need some kind of level editor.

@Elias maybe saying “tools” was too grandiose. I just meant any functionality that could be abstracted—just from looking at it I’d say you’ve got a tile system, an inventory system, a dialogue system, probably some kind of NPC script system, I’d guess also a weather system—and much more—obviously much of it you want to keep to yourself but is there anything you think could be of general use?

@UberGoober Terribly sorry for the late reply!! I haven’t been active for a few months. I’ll look into that, maybe there are some systems that can be shared, but they’d have to be heavily altered. The weather system for instance relies on particle effects, animations (e.g. wind and clouds) and more. So while the logic behind some of the systems isn’t too difficult, it wouldn’t just easily run without some assets and dependencies.

I’m planning to update the dialogue system to allow for some effects. I could share that part once it’s done.

Sounds good.

This game looks gorgeous yo! Good work!

@Timmy_theBarbarian Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

since Uber just updated that thread about add ons it made me wonder do you use any add ons?

i think i might want to use at least Google Analytics eventually, if you have any experience in the process of setting it up that would be really helpful

@skar Do you mean add ons in Xcode? I’m not using any right now and I’m not sure if I will in the future. My biggest concern right now is, that Codea can only export to iOS and I’m trying to find a way to port the game to other platforms. Thus, using add ons might not be a good idea.

yeah i guess that’s the way, my understanding is that though it’s possible to use them directly in codea based on the thread - https://codea.io/talk/discussion/6171/implementing-addons-for-beginners#latest or maybe i’m misunderstanding

i really haven’t tried anything related to it yet, if you haven’t either then we’ll just have to cross that bridge when it’s appropriate for our own projects, but if you get a head start please share any insight :slight_smile:

@Elias if you don’t mind me asking, if you’re looking to make a cross-platform app why did you choose a programming environment that’s quite upfront about being iOS-only?

@skar I’ve just scratched the surface with addons, but it seems like, with a little work, you can fully access all iOS features. I just got my game authenticating with GameCenter and it’s a little exciting.

The two limitations I see at this point are that you can only send numbers and strings back and forth between Codea and iOS, and that access goes from Codea-to-iOS but not the other way around, in other words Codea can call an iOS function but iOS can’t call a Codea function.

AFAIK

@UberGoober Well, mostly for two reasons:

1. Using loveCodea, it is possible to distribute the game to different platforms. I’ve used loveCodea in the past and was able to run my projects on PC. I didn’t use shaders and meshes back then, though, and my projects were much less complex. I do have a running version of IslandCamper on my PC, though. (But it’s a relatively old version of the game)
  2. I just really, really like Codea. Most of all, this is a project for myself and something I want to have fun creating. I’ve tried many engines over the years, but I’ve never found one that I really liked and had fun working with - apart from Codea. I started using Codea 7 or 8 years ago and feel really comfortable using it.
  3. I originally didn’t think about distributing to other platforms, I just wanted to make a game for myself.

@skar I’d absolutely let you know! Right now, I don’t have anything planned in that direction, though :#

@Elias - here is one of the later versions of LoveCodea that I made, think it ran on Love2D version 9.2.
Still searching for a later version will post if I can find one.

Is this supposed to open in Codea? For me it does not. Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but what is the benefit of loveCodea?

@UberGoober - no, what LoveCodea is there for is to act as a wrapper. so you include it in a folder together with your Codea files and assets. The LoveCodea is required in the main.lua file and effectively translates Codea calls to Love2D calls.

Thus enabling you to run your Codea files on a Mac, PC , Linux and possibly even Android now.

One of the benefits of this is you can use traditional text/code editors.

Ran fine with Love2D 9 but now up to version 11 with many changes.

Other benefits include tools to make ripping off code difficult and compilation by including Love2D engine.

Big difference used to be Craft in Codea but there are at least 2 3D libraries now for Love2D. Not of the same quality as Craft though.

Since it’s Lua based there’s a lot of overlap and a decent forum.

Yeah LoveCodea is the best way right now to get stuff running. This will change with the upcoming Codea 4 runtime as I’m in a position to release the runtime for other platforms.

It’s not working just yet but Windows, Linux and Android could be done. Most likely it would just be precompiled libraries / binaries. So you could run your Codea project using Codea4.exe or something like that. Web is also a possibility but I have no real experience with that as of yet