iOS incompatability

All,

Just tried to run an old project that @Loopspace generated in an earlier version of Codea. I downloaded his compiled program to check it out and, being the sloppy file manager that I am, didn’t remove it from my pad. Trying to run it resulted in a notification dialogue stating that the project wasn’t compatible with the current iOS and would only run in an older iOS.

Made me think - if we have different versions of iOS and different versions of Codea keeping and managing projects on your iPad and in the Apple store up to date must be a nightmare. I do get the feeling that the general direction of technology nowadays is forever onwards and the pace is increasing.

Just a thought - wondered what users thought of that and - anyone who is actually managing projects on the Apple store - what’s it like ? Pressure ???

p.s. @LoopSpace ace’s project is Knot a problem.

@Bri_G Since it was a compiled program, then it’s understandable that it wouldn’t be comparable with newer operating systems. Just as programs compiled now wouldn’t run on older devices, or older programs wouldn’t run on newer devices. I’m sure I could find some programs I wrote 9 years ago that won’t run now because either functions were removed or changed. I would have to modify whatever changed which I’ve done many times because something in Codea changed. The recent change was with assets which caused me to modify hundreds of programs.

@dave1707 - yes, understandable but if you had that 100 or so projects compiled and on the App Store you might get a few complaints and requests to update them. Now, that could take a few updates if there have been multiple system and Codea changes. Could be a lot of pressure and time lost.

@Bri_G Maybe not. I have a few programs on my iPad 1 that I bought and like and wish they still worked on current iPads. The authors didn’t feel like messing around with Apple anymore, so those programs eventually died. I can still run them on the iPad 1, but they’re stuck where they’re at. Also, the iPad 1 is so slow, and I can’t believe that I played with Codea on it and thought it was fantastic. Now when I go back to compare some Codea projects, it’s like watching molasses pour.

I’m assuming that eventually all code dies to new hardware/software. But as long as the code still works on the hardware it was built to run on im fine with that. The idea that a compiled game made with codea won’t run on the apple setup it was built on is the only thing that would bother me. I would at least want it to last a few years. Is this an actual concern with the modern tech landscape? That I can spend a lot of time making a game and a few years later it doesn’t even work?