How Codea composites when drawing

I’ve read the in-app references to premultiplied alpha format images and Codea using premultiplied drawing, but I’ve not yet got to grips with understanding the behaviour illustrated by the example code below:

function setup()
    spriteMode(CORNER)
    iparameter("ambient", 0, 255)
    short = math.min(WIDTH, HEIGHT)
    length = math.floor(short/3)
    img1 = image(length, length)
    img2 = image(length, length)

c = color(127, 0, 0, 127) -- ~50% red, ~50% opacity

for j = 1, length do
        for i = 1, length do
            img1:set(i, j, c)
        end
    end

setContext(img2)
    sprite(img1, 0, 0)
    setContext()
    print("Premultiplied?")
    print("img1:",img1.premultiplied)
    print("img2:",img2.premultiplied)

print("img2 color:")
    print(img2:get(1, 1)) -- ~25% red (premult), ~25% opacity
end

function draw()
    background(ambient)
    sprite(img1, length/3, HEIGHT/2 - length/2)
    sprite(img2, WIDTH - length - length/3, HEIGHT/2 - length/2)
end

Any pointers to educational material would be greatly appreciated.

I do not understand the following. Can anyone help by explaining?

In the algebra below, I use the range 0 to 1 for each channel (r, g, b, a), rather than the range 0 to 255.

I understand that a new image userdata value has transparent black pixels (0, 0, 0, 0) and .premultiplied = false.

I would expect that overlaying any colour S = (r, g, b, a) on transparent black D = (0, 0, 0, 0) would have the result: S (irrespective of whether S is taken to be in straight format or premultiplied format).

For example (using the notation here):

Da’ = Sa + Da x (1 - Sa)

Dca’ = Sca + Dca x (1 - Sa)

If Da = 0 and Dca = 0 then:

Da’ = Sa

Dca’ = Sca

In the following two examples, I create an image img1 = image(100, 100), use img1:set(..., color(r, g, b, a)) to set its pixels. I then use setContext() and sprite() to draw img1 on top of a transparent black image.

(1) If I create img1 and set img1.premultiplied = true before or after using img1:set(), then the result is (r, g, b, a) - as expected.

(2) If I create img1 and do not set img1.premultiplied (false by default) then the result is (r*a, g*a, b*a, a*a). I could understand straight (r, g, b, a) being first converted to premultiplied (r*a, g*a, b*a, a) I do not understand the ‘alpha squared’.

After a bit of research, I think I now understand how Codea composites and why I get ‘alpha squared’ in the second example in my comment above - thanks to the Codea Runtime Library and the OpenGL ES 2.0 reference. If a more experienced user of Codea/OpenGL ES could check that I am on the right lines, I would be grateful.

As a shorthand, I’ll use ‘x’ and ‘y’ to represent a colour (in straight or pre-multiplied format),
where ‘x’ is the red, green and blue channels and ‘y’ is the alpha channel. I’m also still using the range 0 to 1 rather than the range 0 to 255. So, for a
straight format source colour (x, y) = (Sc, Sa) and for a pre-multiplied format source
colour (x, y) = (Sca, Sa), where Sca = Sc * Sa.

In each case, the destination (canvas) colour and the output of blending are in a pre-multiplied format - that is, (Dca, Da) and (Dca’, Da’).

If the source colour is in a pre-multiplied format, then the blending function for <a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_compositing”‘over’ alpha compositing is:

Dca' = 1 * x + (1 - Sa) * Dca
 Da'  = 1 * y + (1 - Sa) * Da

If the source colour is in a straight format, then the equivalent blending
function is:

Dca' = Sa * x + (1 - Sa) * Dca
 Da'  = 1  * y + (1 - Sa) * Da

In the Codea Runtime Library, the implementation of the sprite() function sets
a blend mode of BLEND_MODE_PREMULT if the source image’s premultiplied flag is set and
a blend mode of BLEND_MODE_NORMAL otherwise.

In the case of BLEND_MODE_PREMULT, this results in a call to OpenGL:

glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA)

That is consistent with the blending function above: GL_ONE corresponds to the
factor 1 and GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA corresponds to the factor (1 - Sa).

In the case of BLEND_MODE_NORMAL, this results in a call to OpenGL:

glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA)

That is not consistent with the blending function above: GL_SRC_ALPHA
corresponds to the factor Sa, but for Da’ the factor required is 1 (not Sa). Using the factor Sa results in:

Dca' = Sa * x + (1 - Sa) * Dca
 Da'  = Sa * y + (1 - Sa) * Da

In cases where (Dca, Da) = (0, 0), this results in the output (Sca, Sa * Sa) - with the ‘alpha squared’ that I had noted.

What I do not understand is why the following call is not made in the case of
BLEND_MODE_NORMAL:

glBlendFuncSeparate(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA)

OpenGL’s glBlendFuncSeparate allows different (separate) factors to be applied to the red, green and blue channels than those applied to the alpha channels.

That’s a good find on the use of SRC_ALPHA / 1 - SRC_ALPHA blending. I can see how it reduces the way you point out.

The reason we use glBlendFunc( GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA ) is simply because it is the “recommended” way to blend transparent fragments.

E.g. http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glBlendFunc.xml contains the following:

Transparency is best implemented using blend function (GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA) with primitives sorted from farthest to nearest.

Though re-reading that now, I suspect it doesn’t take texture render targets into account!

Is the Da' = Sa * y + (1 - Sa) * Da computation causing a visual issue when rendering to screen? Because destination framebuffer generally has an alpha of 1 — but when rendering to an image context this could result in an incorrectly computed alpha.

I’m not sure if glBlendFuncSeparate is slower than glBlendFunc (rendering blended fragments is one of the biggest performance hits on iPad) — but we could certainly enable it conditionally when rendering to an image context using BLEND_MODE_NORMAL — would this fix your issue?

My issue was one of principle rather than practice (for me). It seemed to me that the following should be equivalent: (1) using sprite() to draw a non-premultiplied (‘straight’) format partially-transparent image directly to the screen; and (2) drawing the same image onto an empty ‘(0,0,0,0)’ image and then drawing the result to the screen. I did not understand why they were behaving differently (the end result had different opacity).

As far as I can see, the only time you might have a straight format image is when you build one in code from scratch (using image() and myImage:set()). (I believe that readImage(), for example, converts straight format image files into premultiplied images.) If that is right, all I have to do is build such images in a premultiplied format from the outset.

As an aside, I have been thinking whether there is an efficient way to convert an existing straight format image into a premultiplied format image using some combination of setContext(img), tint(), .premultiplied and sprite() - but I have not found one.

The following method takes about 5.4E-06 seconds per pixel:

function toPremultiplied(imgIn)
    if imgIn.premultiplied then return imgIn end
    local imgOut = image(imgIn.width, imgIn.height)
    for j = 1, imgIn.height do
        for i = 1, imgIn.width do
            local r, g, b, a = imgIn:get(i, j)
            imgOut:set(i, j, r * a, g * a, b * a, a)
        end
    end
    imgOut.premultiplied = true
    return imgOut
end

You’re right that the two use cases you mention should result in identical images. It’s a bug that they don’t. I’ll change to glBlendFuncSeparate for the normal blend mode and see how it performs.