Help with draw() function

Okay so when I have a couple of projects where when I try to draw to the screen after calling a sub function from the draw function and then returning to the draw function nothing happens. Why is this? Is it a bug? Please help me.

Here is code:

function setup()
parameter.integer(“mod”,0,150,75)
centx = WIDTH/2
centy = HEIGHT/2
fail = false
end

function enhance()
img = image(CAMERA)
if img == nil then
fail = true
else
width = img.width
height = img.height
for y = 1, height do
for x = 1, width do
r,g,b = img:get(x,y)
img:set(x,y,r,math.min(g+mod,255),b)
end
end
fail = false
end
end

function draw()
background(40, 40, 50)
enhance()
if fail == false then
sprite(img,centx,centy,WIDTH,HEIGHT)
end
end

@possibleAdam You can call sub functions from draw. That’s done all the time. I’m just not sure what you’re trying to do. Are you trying to have the camera constantly taking a picture that you’re changing the green intensity. I’m off to bed, so if someone doesn’t help you I’ll do it tomorrow.

@possibleAdam - I suggest you take the enhance function out of draw() and add a touch() function which calls enhance whenever you touch the screen the image will be taken and enhanced. Alternatively you could consider a parameter.action() call to do the same but you need to take enhance() out of the draw() function. Try it yourself, I’ll post code later when I get time.

Edit: please enclose your code within two sets of tilde brackets so it formats correctly (ie ~~~)

@possibleAdam I’m awake. Your problem is the dual for loops with img:get and set in enhance are slowing Codea to a crawl. I commented them out plus I added collectgarbage in enhance otherwise Codea will crash because of the constant update from image(CAMERA). So the call to enhance isn’t the problem.

PS. I’ll comment more later.

PSS. There might be a bug with img:get.

function setup()
    parameter.integer("mod",0,150,75)
    parameter.watch("fps")
    centx = WIDTH/2
    centy = HEIGHT/2
    fail = false
end

function enhance()
    img = image(CAMERA)
    collectgarbage()
    if img == nil then
        fail = true
    else
        width = img.width
        height = img.height
        for y = 1, height do
            for x = 1, width do
                --r,g,b = img:get(x,y)
                --img:set(x,y,r,math.min(g+mod,255),b)
            end
        end
        fail = false
    end
end

function draw()
    background(40, 40, 50)
    enhance()
    if fail == false then
        sprite(img,centx,centy,WIDTH,HEIGHT)
    end
    fps=1//DeltaTime
end

@Simeon Can you explain what’s happening here. The camera image is showing just fine. When you tap the screen to allow img:get to execute, the screen image doesn’t show anymore. By tapping the screen, you can toggle the img:get on and off.

Also, what’s with the green dot in the upper right corner while the code is running.

function setup()
    fill(255)
    parameter.watch("fps")
end

function draw()
    background(0)
    img=image(CAMERA)
    collectgarbage()
    if img ~=nil then
        sprite(img,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2,WIDTH,HEIGHT)
        if read then
            r,g,b=img:get(2,2)
        end
    end
    fps=1//DeltaTime
    text("tap screen for img get",WIDTH/2,HEIGHT-50)
end

function touched(t)
    if t.state==BEGAN then
        read= not read
        print(img)
    end
end

@dave1707 - do you need to specify the opacity as the img:get() call provides r,g,b,a. Does it need all 4 parameters to operate correctly?

@Bri_G It doesn’t matter if it’s 3 or 4 values. Do you know what the green dot is for.

#dave1707 - now you’ve lost me ‘green dot’ ?

@Bri_G When I run the above code, there’s a small green dot in the upper right corner.

@dave1707 - does image:get() number the pixels in the same way as it is displayed?

@Bri_G I believe image:get(1,1) is the lower left screen and image:get(WIDTH,HEIGHT) is the upper right.

@dave1707 - I think that the bottom left image get could be 0,0 so is offset by a pixel.

@Bri_G If width,height is the size of an img, then

img:get(1,1) is the lower left.
img:get(1,height) is the upper left.
img:get(width,height) is the upper right.
img:get(width,1) is the lower right.

img:get(0,0) will give you an out of bounds error.

Apparently the green dot in the upper right of the screen is an indicator that the camera is being used. An orange dot means the microphone is being used. So that explains my question from above.

@dave1707 - this device and Codea never cease to amaze me, learn something new every day.

@Simeon It appears the placement of the img:get command causes the sprite command not to work. The sprite command isn’t affected with the img:get command after it. If the img:get command is before the sprite command, the sprite doesn’t work. Comment out one ot the othe of the img:get commands. Tap the screen to allow the img:get command to execute.

viewer.mode=FULLSCREEN

function setup()
end

function draw()
    background(0)

img=image(CAMERA)
    collectgarbage()

if get then
        --r,g,b=img:get(1,1)
    end

if img~=nil then
        sprite(img,WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2)
    end

ellipse(400,400,40)

if get then
        r,g,b=img:get(1,1)
    end
end

function touched(t)
    if t.state==BEGAN then
        get= not get
    end   
end

@dave1707 @Simeon - just a little query on the above code, are the touch and draw functions on separate parallel threads or on a series thread. Also, is this about timing and priorities at the begining of each screen refresh?

So @dave1707 it doesn’t draw anything to the screen after image:get. It won’t do text or sprites or shapes. I have 3 projects that need to draw something after image:get so this is kind of annoying. Also how do you format code?

@possibleAdam To format code here, put 3tildes ~~~ before and after your code. As for the img:get problem, I’m sure it will be fixed soon.

@dave1707 thanks for the report will look into it