Function Name Variables: Answered

Greetings! Is there a way to turn the name of a function into a form that can be passed to something else to then be called? In a nut shell, can function names be variables? This would save a boat load of time.

An example of when you’d use this is, you have a menu class that needs to play button press sounds at the correct time and volume. You could have the menu class play the sound and the owner of the class tell every single menu to change its volume when the volume changes. OR you could give the all of the menu classes (in its parameters) a function to call that plays the sound were the sound has easy access to the volume and mute settings.

A function name IS a variable that only stores a number (the memory address of the function code).

So if you have a function A, then B=A copies the memory address from A to B, and now B() will run the same function as A()

So the answer is yes

A function is just another variable type.

function foo(bar)
    print(bar)
end

is just syntax candy for

foo = function(bar)
    print(bar)
end

That’s why you can pass functions as parameters, such as in tween.delay(time, callback)

:open_mouth: My code will be forever changed. Thats so cool! Is this true for most other languages? Thanks.

Does this also work for class functions? If so, whats the syntax?

@Goatboy76 Variables and functions differ between every programming language, so it’s hard to say. As for classes, yes, they are also variables. They’re actually metatables, which are sort of an extension upon normal tables. Metatables are pretty much the same as normal tables, except they can have functions that integrate with the Lua language, such as a function to be called when you “call” the variable as if it were a function, or even adding two values together.

Here’s the Lua code for the class() function, if it helps you understand:

-- Class.lua
-- Compatible with Lua 5.1 (not 5.0).

function class(base)
    local c = {}    -- a new class instance
    if type(base) == 'table' then
        -- our new class is a shallow copy of the base class!
        for i,v in pairs(base) do
            c[i] = v
        end
        c._base = base
    end

-- the class will be the metatable for all its objects,
    -- and they will look up their methods in it.
    c.__index = c

-- expose a constructor which can be called by <classname>(<args>)
    local mt = {}
    mt.__call = function(class_tbl, ...)
        local obj = {}
        setmetatable(obj,c)
        if class_tbl.init then
            class_tbl.init(obj,...)
        else 
            -- make sure that any stuff from the base class is initialized!
            if base and base.init then
                base.init(obj, ...)
            end
        end

return obj
    end

c.is_a = function(self, klass)
        local m = getmetatable(self)
        while m do 
            if m == klass then return true end
            m = m._base
        end
        return false
    end

setmetatable(c, mt)
    return c
end

Taken from here

You might want to study these threads. They are about callbacks, but a callback is just a variable that contains a function address, which is what you need.

http://codea.io/talk/discussion/1210/why-one-callback-works-and-the-next-fails-on-self-reference/p1

http://codea.io/talk/discussion/2609/question-on-callback-functions/p1

Mission accomplished. The code for classes is interesting. Thanks

@Goatboy76, Lua has one of the best designs with regard to functions. Many high-level mainstream languages, including C++, Java, Javascript, and Python have weaker support for functions. If you are interested in this, i would very much recommend “Programming in Lua” book by Roberto Ierusalimschy. He explains functions and closures very well. (It’s a great book in many other respects too.)

What I’d like to know is, is it possible to reveal the code (print to the console for example) contained within a function?

In general, no. You might be able to do this for functions written in Lua, via some trick using debug library (or if you had saved the source explicitly into function’s metatable), but for C-functions it’s pretty much impossible.

@juce thank for the debug library tip! That was exactly what I was looking for…

@juce I’ll have to check that out.

is it right?

function foo(bar)
    print(bar)
    foo(bar)
end

That is going to print forever, don’t you want it to stop?

i see, this is a try.

See http://www.lua.org/pil/23.1.html for how to get the code of a function using the debug library.