feature request - HiJack support

Any chance we could get support for the HiJack hardware in Codea? LibHiJack builds as a static library on iOS with a simple delegate-based send byte and receive byte API.

HiJack is an msp430 based IO board that is powered and communicates over the headphone port…

hello @russm, out of curiosity, could you give a couple of examples of its use as if I were a two year old ?

I’m having trouble understanding what it actually is despite reading this description :

“HiJack is a hardware/software platform for creating cubic-inch sensor peripherals for the mobile phone. HiJack devices harvest power and use bandwidth from the mobile phone’s headset interface. The HiJack platform enables a new class of small and cheap phone-centric sensor peripherals that support plug-and-play operation.”

It’s a dongle you can plug into the headphone jack; into it, you can plug in various sensors (temperature, moisture, etc), and you could then use an app (or, in this case, Codea) to talk to the dongle and gather the information from the sensors.

So - you could, for example, plug a thermometer into the Hijack dongle, plug that into the ipad, and have a Codea app (if TLL included the library) to graph, in realtime, the values from that thermometer. It might also, for example, sound an alarm when the temperature exceeds a certain threshold.

Example page: http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hijack#Introduction

It doesn’t appear the communication goes two-way - pity. If this did output as well as input, it would be awesome for command/control things like robotics. As it is, it appears it’s only suited for data-gathering (which is still handy).

There are a TON (I know, I was one at one point, back in the IBM PC days) of researchers who would like to write automated data gathering/processing apps, but for whom the pain of writing an app in Objective-C and getting it onto the iphone/ipad is just too much of a barrier.

@Bortels - Thanks for the clarification, sounds pretty interesting !

sorry I didn’t get back to this - thanks for answering, Bortels.

the shipped firmware on the hijack dongle only supports a single inbound data channel, but the comms library supports outbound as well, and the dongle firmware is open-source so you can do 2-way comms if you want. (upstream provide a 2-way comms demo that can be easily flashed to the target board)