ETA on 1.5?

.@aciolino there are no issues supporting GLSL through the runtime. Though it might take us a bit of time after the initial 1.5 release to get the Xcode template updated.

I think the Xcode stuff needs to be re-thought — I’d really like to have it be much easier to use, and much easier to create and share native extensions (such as Game Center support). But like I said, that will be a bit after the release of 1.5.

Ah, well if its’s going to take a bit of time to update the templates, then a delay of the release makes sense - part of my desire to use Codea is to be able to compile apps that I can release without needing the entire Codea app to run them.

It looks like the Codea Runtime has been updated and that SHADERS are in the code…true?

.@aciolino not yet. We have rewritten a fair bit of Codea, so the runtime will need a major update post-1.5.

i only ask because I see shader code inside the later runtime I just downloaded. :slight_smile:

.@aciolino Codea has always used shaders internally to render primitives, sprites, and so on (it’s required as part of OpenGL ES 2 — you can’t do anything without shaders). 1.5 will allow you to write and interact with your own shaders.

Ping…:slight_smile:

I need to use a tweening lib, for the my first project on Codea… I know that 1.5 release will bring this feature implemented. So, will I use one custom approach, or is better to wait for 1.5?.. @Simeon (any clue available? :wink: )

Any more news on when version 1.5 will be released?
I see a number of people are already using a beta version. I need access to the new BlendMode commands for my current project.
How could I get added to the Beta Testing list?
Thanks.

.@pcarras @Phd

There is very little left to do. Most of the work is now in finalising the documentation (and making sure the translated versions are okay), and adding example shaders. As well as bug fixes and some iPad 1 / iOS 5 compatibility checks.

It doesn’t sound like much but it will still take me a while to get through. I’m planning to mark some functionality as “beta” in 1.5 so that I can release earlier and improve it with subsequent updates.

I would love to add everyone to the beta — but Apple only gives us 100 beta slots.

I was pretty impatient, then i realized than until the runtime is updated, I can’t really produce any apps for the store.

It still would be nice to have an approximate timeframe, like Feb 30th :slight_smile:

You probably shouldn’t say “little left to do” and “a while to get through”…I’d be fine with beta software as long as I know where most of the bodies are buried :slight_smile:

.@pcarras
Tweening is based on this library, so use its API and you’re ready for Codea 1.5:

https://github.com/kikito/tween.lua

.@Simeon does that mean you have used up all the 100 beta slots?

.@pcarras as @Codeslinger says, you can use that. We’ve added a lot more functionality to it (like loops, callbacks, tweening along bezier paths, and so on), but for the basics it’s very similar.

.@Phd we haven’t, but we have another game (Crabitron) that also needs beta testing. So we have to be a bit careful with how many we use up (or we have to wait for a year to free them up again).

.@aciolino I’m hesitant to give a specific date. You might be fine with beta software, or incomplete docs, but many others would be sure to let me know about them. As soon as I’ve submitted it to Apple, I’ll post here.

.@Simeon - Crabitron looks really cool! Was it written in Codea, or prototyped in it?

.@jlslate Crabitron has actually been in development since before Codea even started. It’s taken a long time.

I’m also eagerly waiting for the runtime, I want to release a fractal program on the app store that I’m coding on my free time. :slight_smile:

Not sure if this will be fixed in 1.5. I get funny text truncation or parsing when i have longer files. This happens on the coding screen, not running the app. Somehow the text-wrapping is not working 100%. It happens rarely but is extremely frustrating in trying to debug the code. I have to cut and paste the code segment into a new file.

The LUA files reads ok on other coder readers like notepad++

That is fixed

TLL/beta testers, do we get any type of OpenGL lighting modes in 1.5?