Doodle Jump type of game? - help

I want to make a Doodle Jump type of game for the fun of it. I’m really bad at coding so does anyone know how they added the Platforms? Like the Clouds in Lau Jump from Codea any help?

The best way I manage the platforms is to create an array of a platform class. So let’s start with the class. The initial function (classname:init()) should have the input of the x and y. When it’s time to create a new platform, say something like this: variablename = platformClass:init(random(0, WIDTH), HEIGHT). That sets a variable to that class and tells it to spawn the platform at the top of the screen at a random x and y. Most likely, the variables set to the class would be in an array so you can have multiple platforms. To draw the platform, say variablename:draw(). That might not make sense. If not, let me know and I’ll create a little example.

If I could have a little more help that would be nice.

Hi @ItsDan, I would recommend playing around with the code for Lua Jump first. Try experimenting to make the clouds bigger, different colors, more frequent etc.

Starting from that example will be easier than starting from nothing if you don’t have much coding experience.

I have changed the size of the clouds. But I don’t know how to change the Clouds into my own design to test out how my app will look like could you help?

That’s great you have started to alter the examples - that’s what they are for. You could change them into rectangles, for example, for a different look.

The online help is useful to see what different commands do. There is also a wiki with some tutorials to help people get used to programming if they have not done it before.

One useful approach in writing a program is to break down your goal into smaller steps, which means you will need to be very specific about what you are trying to do. We can help you when you get stuck, but to get useful advice you will need to ask questions about quite narrow issues, rather than a whole game. If you have a look over the forums to see the kind of questions that come up, you will see people quoting code for a particular thing they are trying to do. Try something small at first, quote the code if it is not working, and we will build on that.

My Doodle Jump clone is nearly finished. Just need to install the Platforms and use my design for the Platforms Anyone that could help would be loved… :slight_smile:

@ItsDan, I am doing something very similar to you. I took the original Lua Jump example, and then made some slight modifications to how it looks, and added many new features.

Did you change the Clouds? If so how? And what is the coding? :slight_smile:

I actually did not. I was going to, so as to make it even more different from Lua jump if I ever wanted to publish it, but I couldn’t figure out how to :stuck_out_tongue:

The clouds are not images. Look at the code. Their random white circles out together to look like a cloud.

@Zoyt Do you know how to do it? I think i speak for me and ItsDan when I say that if you do you should tell us :stuck_out_tongue:

@Bieber208 - My last PM to ItsDan:
“The clouds are randomly generated with circles. But to draw a platform, try this:
sprite(“Small World:Base Large”, self.x, self.y.
The self.x and self.y are referring to themselves so you don’t have to say varname.x and stuff.”
Is that enough info? Sorry I haven’t had time to explain thoroughly it and make an example recently. No time with school and I had a concussion 8-X

Look for AlbiJump on the Forum, I just started my Codea work with this Type of Game … Maybe it Helps …

Where the heck is the code to this game

Look above your projects.

@lruizlopez137 It’s in the Examples. Scroll through the top projects to find it. Please stop bumping old discussions.