Does anyone have a Mac they could sell?

Hey guys, I have wanted a Mac laptop to work/code on for awhile now. I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has a older one they might want to sell? As I am a student The most I could afford is around $200. I’ve looked around for awhile and can’t find anything in this price range that could still even do anything meaningful. Just PM me if you have anything or know someone, Thanks! Evan

@EvanDavis Sorry. I don’t have any Macs or Mac Minis for you, but I think this website could help you. I can see a Mac Mini and a charger for as little as 45$ on it.

@EvanDavis I recommend you don’t buy the Mac Mini. When I was looking for a Mac, I kept trying to find the cheapest one, but I’d rather spend a bit more, to get a Mac that can do more and last me longer.

Alright, thanks

As I have no experience with Macs I wanted to see what you guys thought about this one? ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-A1181-13-3-Laptop-MB403LL-A-February-2008-/322448089780?hash=item4b136762b4:g:ldwAAOSwx6pYrjp-

@EvanDavis if you want, that one go for it, but I, like you, was looking for a cheep Mac and I was about to buy one from 2010, but my it just had so many problems if you wanted to work on it because it was so old, I ended up getting a 2015, it’s a bit pricey, but it’s better than getting one and then having to buy a new one a year later.

@EvanDavis I’ll keep looking, there are some pretty cheap 2013 ones out there

I recommend you don’t buy the Mac Mini. When I was looking for a Mac, I kept trying to find the cheapest one, but I’d rather spend a bit more, to get a Mac that can do more and last me longer.

The “mini” doesn’t mean it’s under-specced, necessarily. The lowest tier of Mac mini is, but so is the lowest tier of iMac (the ones with sub 2 ghz processors). If you’re on a budget, the mid-tier mini is definitely one to consider. Arguably it’s a safer buy than an iMac, because its modular nature means there’re less integral parts that can break.

The mini is overdue an update (been 2 years now I think?), but then if you’re buying second hand, that’s not an issue. I hear that the previous-generation mini (the one where the mid-tiered one was still quad-core) is a good one to look out for. They hold their value well though, so they’re still not cheap, even second hand.

I’m not suggesting you breach any rules, but in the past I had some success getting http://www.hackintosh.com/ approach working on an old netbook…

Haha, I’ve tried…couldn’t get anything to work. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Sorry for going on and on, but I’m thinking about trying to buy this one.
ebay.com/itm/352003478286?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any thoughts?

@EvanDavis that MacBook is too old to run the latest version of Xcode.

Ok, thanks