Codea 3.8 (375)

@sim @John @dave1707 1707 - update and last reported issue. Installed an old project from external drive on my iPad, direct from the external drive. Tried once, didn’t wait for me to tap the button to install, not visible in the Codea project window.

The ran again, paused to press install button and present in Codea projects window.

Ran project, correcting issues with old addressing for assets and found the issue with the assets window (image attached). Checked on assets folder in Codea root - all assets present, but the listing in the asset window is incomplete and has the blank column on the left.

Is this a feature of downloading in install? Does it unzip in temporary or downloads memory first time and then tries from there on second install?

Edit: some clarification - my project zip contains only lua files plist and icons, all the assets are exisitng and in a project.assets file in Codea root.

After project installation Codea fired up an error that old asset addressing was not viable now so I was updating those when I saw the issue again.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! Will check out the asset window, looks strange

Edit: hmm, I can’t get the Assets pane to show like that, any more info on how to reproduce?

i think that’s the readImage() call

@sim - firstly the project involved is quite old. I recently exported it as a zip onto a local network drive. I always set up an assets folder on Codea root to hold my assets so that during development my assets are never in the project itself. Recently I copied all the assets folders onto the external drive but the original is still intact in the Codea root. I do this to avoid having all intermediate versions of projects holding the assets and consuming drive space.

The crash resulted from me opening the network project zip and sharing with Codea directly from the network drive. The first time I shared the project it opened the dialogue after specifying Codea as the app receiver but the window that results, waiting for the go ahead slider button appeared the disappeared. The project was not present in the Codea project window. Repating this resulted in the intermediate window staying in place and the project being installed subsequently after approving it

The project ran but some graphics were missing due to the old addressing for assets. I replaced all I could find and ran the project again but it hung up on me froze the screen. After closing Codea by swiping up the message for Codea crashing popped up.

Edit: @sim - I wouldn’t spend any time on this, I think it’s a feature of the file. Tried sharing from Dropbox and Downloads and still same problem. I’m working through the project now to try to locate the issue. Will report back with any progress.

Edit 2: @sim - Reinstalled previous version of Codea, shared the file from the network drive and it installed first time. Also it ran the project, after corrections previously described, although relatively slow (may be a feature of my old code). So it looks like latest version has issues with that mode of installing/sharing from net.

@sim @dave1707 - stupid error first thing this am - tried to load and move a sprite and crashed Codea. When I investigated found I’d specified a sprite as a name, neglected to load it with readImage() and it hung up Codea and eventually crashed. Does Codea check for valid image loading?

@sim @dave1707 - just re-building the old project and found an oddity - within a project I started a line with BW = and didn’t complete the definition an Codea didn’t error it ran. I added a second incomplete definition and that also ran without error. Both incomplete definitions were in a function called from the draw() function.

Is the parsing in the latest beta incomplete?

It seems, strangely, like valid Lua!

I just tried your code here Lua: demo

function foo()
    BW =
    print("Hello")
end

foo()

Hitting “run” runs it just fine. Strange

@sim ah, I take it you feel that its probably due to the latest version of Lua. Does it need testing with the previous version and, if faulty, reporting to the developers ?

Ok so when you do:

BW = 

In Lua, BW will take the value of whatever line comes next:

BW =
print(BW)
BW = 
print(BW)

In the first case BW will be 123, in the latter case BW will be nil as the print statement does not return anything

@sim - thanks for the update, as long as the Lua interpreter is happy with that, and doesn’t get hooked on chasing what it’s value is, I can live with that. But, it is a bit FREEEEAAAKY !!!

1 Like