Codea 3.7.1 (371)

@John Thanks for the info. For now the only way I can get my program to work under V4 is to create a table that has the names of valid table items and allow the pairs code only on those names.

something i noticed was the physics engine has some slow down with lots of bodies, could it be possible to integrate a faster version of box 2d found here - GitHub - mtsamis/box2d-optimized: A very fast and scalable physics engine, based on Box2D. and possibly allow us to choose regular or optimized in the project settings similar to how we choose v3 or v4 rendering?

That looks interesting, although its kind of odd that its still in alpha even though the project is more than 3 years old. I’d need to look into it a bit closer. Is there a reason why you would want to switch between the optimised and regular versions?

Yes indeed, for all the games I’ve been prototyping so far, I’ve concluded that most of the places I need and want physics it’s rather minor, things like some bodies moving around when hitting each other or the desire to add a force just to get some interaction happening for a moment. These cases are not deep simulations and in some cases I even override the physics positions if I need them to be more dynamic and interactive, so I don’t need or desire as much precision and iteration. With the optimized version I hope to be able to have more simple bodies on the screen at once. I might just make my own simple physics engine since my needs are so limited, the thing I didn’t want to have to do is figure out force and gravity calculations.