Codea 2.5.1 (95)

I believe I tracked down the bug, 100% reproducible.

Try this:

• Open Cameras
  • Search anything, ex. “add”
  • With the search open, try to type anything in the project area
  • Boom, crash

@Simeon it was my understanding that the sample projects reset their code as soon as you exit them. Effectively you couldn’t change them. That used to be the case with the old pre-Craft sample projects. No longer?

@Simeon I don’t know what to say about the reference, are you testing on an iPad 3?

Alternately,maid you only test outside of a project? It works for me there too. Where it doesn’t work is inside a project.

Maybe tell me what term you inspected for reference, I’ll see if it works for me.

EDIT
On inspection, it does work for me, if the swipe originates on the information panel itself.

What doesn’t work is if I start the swipe off screen. I thought you used to have to start offscreen, which is why I got in that habit, at least I think so.

@Simeon some funnies with the exporting - I have a lot of file!!!

IPad Pro iOS11.0.1 Codea 95

Just noticed there is a new iOS update to 11.0.3, but not yet installed.
I have many files in Project areas, took some organising

Started exporting came back with 615.3 Mb file allocated it to Dropbox started then stopped - wary of file size. Backed to re-locate file and started, went they the procedure again then came back and said file size was 1.23 Gb.

Cancelled, came out of exporting closed Codea an restarted Exporting - back to 615.3 Mb but cancelled file size way too big.

Also used Apple file manager and looke at the Codea folder found all the Project area folders, the Documents folder contents and the project files - and the Dropbox files. Which files are actually exported?

Also no sign of any of the resources for Craft - I assume they are downloaded direct, as and when needed, from the linked sources.

Now going to upgrade iOS to 11.0.3.

It seems pretty definitive that the Cameras project is somewhat misnamed, in that it has a sole purpose, in effect only one purpose for which it will ever be linked as a dependency, and it would be more accurate to name the project after that purpose: “Viewers”. IMHO.

EDIT
Were the Cameras project so renamed, it would leave an opening for a different sample project to take the “Cameras” name…

@Simeon, just checked my Codea usage and Codea takes up 1.2 Gb, 101.7 Mb on the app and 1.1 G5 on data etc.

@dave1707 this is our bug. The iOS 11 Files app is trying to do something really cool here and we don’t support it yet.

@Bri_G Codea takes up 179.2 MB for me. It used to take up about 800 MB and I had to backup all my stuff, delete Codea, reload Codea and load everything back. One thing you can try is to do an export on each project, create a zip file but don’t save it and see how big the zip is. I did that on one of my projects and the zip file was 1.5 MB. I copied the project to another one and deleted the original. Copied it back and did another zip on it and it was less than 300 KB. I think unless a project actually gets deleted it seems to keep building up memory usage if you keep deleting lines and add more lines.

PS. That would probably only work on projects that get a lot of adding and deleting done to them.

@dave1707 I’ve fixed the importing for the next build. Thanks so much for helping me find it.

@dave1707 daft question - I have only archived my whole project library, kind like a snapshot. How do you backup individual projects - using your own backup?

@UberGoober yeah I can see how the reference panel thing is confusing. iOS has an edge swipe gesture for navigation controllers on iPhone that starts off-screen. There’s a special screen-edge gesture we can implement to copy this behaviour for our reference docs. I’ll add it as a feature request.

Around Codea 2.1 we made the example projects editable (they are effectively user projects in a different “collection”). So now I’m wary of resetting them.

I followed your steps to reproduce the find/replace crash but searching for the term “add” in the Cameras example works OK for me. I can tap find results and then tap into the editor without crashing. I’m sure this bug exists for you and it’s frustrating that I can’t reproduce it.

@Simeon that’s very kind of you to say! I’ve worked as a tester professionally and the universal response I expect when I say there’s a bug is “no there isn’t.” So thanks. If I can figure out any other specifics that cause the crash I’ll let you know. iOS 9 is a possible culprit of course.

As long as updating sample projects doesn’t change duplicates of sample projects, I’m good. I only mess with duplicates these days. I feel a bit abashed because I may remember being one of the people who complained about sample projects not being editable, and yet from here today I totally see why you’d protect them that way.

EDIT: OH SNAP, AUTOCORRECT ERROR!
What I meant to write was type anything in the main project area. Simply tapping doesn’t crash for me either. Tap into that area and then try to type something and see if it crashes for you. I’m gonna edit that typo now.

@John How do I handle multiple cameras for LOD? As soon as i add a new entity with a camera component it only draws this new camera.

@Simeon just a quick query, have you incorporated/used the Apple file manager app within Codea ie replacing the file functions in pre iOS 11 code?
Reason I ask is that I just got the Roller Coaster Craft demo from @LoopSpace running and I tried to copy the screen in a snapshot from the Codea panel and Codea bombed. Just after that I found the File manager app had switched into the blank screen mode we have seen before. If this has already been reported my apologies.

@UberGoober I think you’re right about the name of the Cameras project. I kind of want library projects to be less conspicuous in general. Along with that I think they should be included via code instead of the dependencies options. The comment header for OrbitViewer is a typo.

@GR00G0 this is due to the second camera clearing the background and drawing over the first. Try looking at ‘myCamera.clearColorEnabled=false’, which lets you prevent a camera from clearing the background. If you want to draw 2 cameras side by side have a look at the ‘myCamera:viewport(x,y,w,h)’ camera function.

@John I believe I understand the push for code-based module access, and it makes good sense, and for just a smudge of devil’s advocacy, if you’re going to preserve the dependency system, which seems wise to me, it’s also seems wise to have one or two sample projects that explicitly require using it. Personally, I thought the Learn Craft project made good use of Cameras in this regard.

@John That’s what I thought as well, so i enabled it on booth cameras and also set the clearColor to 0,0,0,0. This however did not change it. I also noticed(not sure if a bug or intended) all other 2d operations always get drawn in front of the drawn scene, no matter in wich orther you draw.

Edit: I got it working now, the problem was I was setting clearColorEnabled to true, thinking it enables clear color. Having to set it to false is kindof misleading.

I like how humorful Simeon tells about th3 changes :smiley:

Thanks @TokOut :smiley: