Bluetooth support for controllers and/or keyboard input

I know with “keyboard (key)” and “showKeyboard” that you can get it’s input but only for letters and numbers and unfortunately it doesn’t detect the arrow keys nor when a key state is being held or ended. If possible please add this functionality into Codea

@NewToonie It sounds like you want to use the keyboard as a game controller. You want to use the arrow keys for direction and to hold a key down for some kind of action like continuous shooting.

Exactly
Though I know Codea is more for touch based projects but would still be cool to be able to to use the keyboard that way

@NewToonie the arrow keys weren’t possible when we initially added keyboard support. I’ll look into it again to see if it’s possible to support these on iOS now.

Thanks for your consideration!

+1 for at least the arrow keys ! (For text edition into an app)
Could be interesting to have a complete support : control, alt, …

Hi,
I wanted to do a new topic, but this one contains what I wanted to ask for.

Now, along with ios13, controller support should not be a problem - and I think it would be useful in many projects.
Same with keyboard support (bluetooth, smartkeyboard) - I am now working on a project myself (something like a 3d modeler) and the possibility of using the keyboard would help to develop the program, its usability and convenience.

@hmental A Bluetooth keyboard has worked with the iPad for a long time. I bought a cheap Bluetooth keyboard for about a $2 at a junk store and it worked just fine. I don’t use it because I prefer the internal keyboard.

Hi - yup, works in editor. But I need to use keyboard in runtime app.
Ex. In my project I press “D” then app do something.

Or maybe Codea have that, but I dont know how to use that ;p

@hmental Here’s some code that will get input from the Bluetooth keyboard. It’s the same as using the internal keyboard. I used this to display the keys pressed on my Bluetooth keyboard.

function setup()
    showKeyboard()    
end

function keyboard(k)
    print(k)       
end

Thanks!

Last time I checked, iOS doesn’t provide direct bluetooth access to keyboards. The only way iOS allows a keyboard to be used is as a direct replacement of the on-screen keyboard.