Associate Codea to Dropbox

@pygore when you sync your Dropbox account with Codea it searches the Dropbox:Apps/Codea folder and provides images of all the recognisable files in the Dropbox assets within Codea. It does not show file types it doesn’t recognise or subdirectories within the Dropbox:Apps/Codea folder. However if you can see the files there with Dropbox App or the new Apple File app then you can programmatically load the files from that folder or any sub directory therein, as described by @dave1707 or in my note to @kendog400 above.

I dident even know that the folder was in : Dropbox:Apps/Codea.
I viewed the youtube video ; Lesson 7 Codea / Patrick Coxall.
And it never said anything about this… The video was posted in 2014…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJd56OLKtho&index=8&list=PL28ZgPD5H3I07rN55BaYuq65ezTH509Sd

Dave and Bri, thank you. That worked. I was expecting to see the graphic or a thumbnail in the assets dialogue, but it works fine without actually seeing it. Regards.

@pygore - if you have iOS 11 on your pad, with the new file app you can browse the files ‘on my Pad’ and the location folders there should show you Codea. Clicking on the folder will give you icons for all the files in the Documents plus folders for assets. One of the is the Dropbox.assetpack and you can see there all the files from Dropbox, it also allows you to look at the contents of each Dropbox sub folder. The Dropbox.assetpack is the same as ‘Dropbox:Apps/codea’. This gives you another way to check out files etc.

Note the file app came with iOS 11 - worth upgrading to if you have a compatible system but it also changes a lot about the way you handle files etc. See @dave1707 concerns on the direction of iOS development (another recent thread) - not everyone appreciates it.

I have i-pad mini with OS9.5, I still dont see any codea folder in the Dropbox Icon, I was just wondering if its because I dident pay dropbox $15 fee…

@kendog400 Dropbox has been accessible for some time through Codea. You may have an issue if you have low memory and a lot of apps. What have you placed in the Dropbox folder - you are better putting files in using the Dropbox app. Also, after adding files to the folder, remember you need to sync the folders through Codea.

I’ve placed sound wave files mostly shuffles for card games, plus a few button tings. I placed them in Apps/Codea…I’ve looked at the settings in codea and it says account is linked…I have a feeling that I’ve missed a step or two…Where is the sync button ? I’ve touched everything, still no dice…

The sync is in the Codea asset/Dropbox folder at the top right.

@kendog400 if you can’t see any files when you’ve used the Dropbox sync you may have unrecognised file types. If so try putting a graphic .png file into the folder and resend.

Is the .mp3 files unrecognised ? I tried the sync button at the top right, still nothing…

Is there another way to get sound wave files into the documents folder ? I know apple doesent like you to download .mp3’s because it would hurt their i-Tunes sales…

@kendog400 See this link. I show a program that downloads an mp3 file to the Documents folder.

https://codea.io/talk/discussion/7991/requesting-music-files-from-internet

To dave1707 : Can I change the link ; tune=“http://www.magicmusicx.com/uploads/4/2/7/2/4272634/16._lovin_on_dire_docks.mp3”,…to i-Cloud to extract the files from there ?

@kendog400 - that’s quite a big file just short of 7Meg. I assume you want to stream?

Try looking at the following link, it’s old but it may do what you need.

Play mp3

Hope that works, never tried it.

Bri_G, i tried to change the link to retrive a card shuffle sound, but no luck, i get a file with no sound…

@kendog400 - found another old link with several links to options that may help:

CodeaSound

https://codea.io/talk/discussion/4734/adding-sound-effects-and-music

Link didn’t work on anchor so copy and paste above.

Here I have 3 photos, I have the dropbox acct linked, I still see nothing…
Can anyone take a peek ? Is it something I did wrong ?..

@kendog400 In the Photos album in the Dropbox app is a photo of a parakeet. Copy that into the Apps/Codea folder. Then from the Dropbox folder in Codea do a sync. You should see the png image like I show. The one image shows the Dropbox app and the other the Codea app.

This looked like it worked good, But does it handle mp3 files as well ?

@kendog400 I had no problem syncing an mp3 file in the Dropbox app with the Dropbox folder in Codea. See the images included.