Any plans for Scene Editor?

So I was wondering, are there any plans to create a scene editor tool for codea in the near future? Sort of like Unity3D or Playcanvas scene editors where you would be able to work with the assets and than write lua scripts for the placed assets to do certain things?

I am working on a 2D one. However, it’s still far from being finished as I haven’t been able to continue working on it for quite a while now. I still plan on finishing it, though, once I find the time.

Nice to hear that, I think I heard Simeon was working on 3D one at least he mentioned it on twitter.

@valko that’s the plan, to start just something to position objects and load models and set up a scene

@Simeon Sorry for asking, but do you have an update on when the scene editor will be ready?

@Simeon Sorry for asking, but any progress on the 3D scene editor? If scene editor will ever be made real for codea, this would be a HUGE step for the whole platform. I can’t express how bad I want to see this feature in Codea. Scene editor would open a whole new experience for game creation on iPad using codea. I realise thought it’s not an easy task.

@valko i agree with you. Having a visual way to set up 3D scenes, even if it starts very simple, is really important. I don’t have an ETA though

@Simeon Any updates on the scene editor for codea?

@valko not yet, thank you for checking though. We’re in the process of building a new renderer and adding some more features. The 3D scene editor is still on my mind a lot!

@Simeon That’s great!

Just a couple of days ago I started working on mine again. I’ve rewritten most of the code for the UI to work with Soda and I’m nearly done. There are some bugs, however, that I still couldn’t fix entirely and I’m currently in the process of rewriting basic functionality such as copy-paste and selecting multiple objects. I hope I have something to show in the coming 2-3 weeks.

Thanks for update guys. Really exited to see any kind of progress in this field :wink:
@Leon would be great to see your progress after a month, so exited

@valko
Thanks :slight_smile: I’ll let you know as soon as I have something to show. Most of my plans could be implemented within in a month if I can dedicate enough spare time to it.

@valko
Hi, I just wanted to give you a quick update:
I’ve now added Layers, however I’m still struggling to find a satisfying implementation. You can place objects on different layers, which you can create and delete. Additionally, you can select the order of layers and e.g. change which layer is displayed in the background. The menu doesn’t look very polished, I’m still trying to figure out how to improve it.

I’m also in the process of restructuring menus and fixing bugs. Back in March or April I started shifting my project to Soda. The design choices I made back then weren’t really good, though, and I’m trying to improve on it.

Since the exams at my university are about to start, I’m quite busy at the moment. Unfortunately, this has slowed down my progress much more than I thought. Nevertheless I’m still actively working on the project and dedicated to finishing it. I would like to finish the UI-improvements first and once I find the time I will start a thread to showcase my progress there. Sorry it’s taking so long :frowning:

1 Like